No announcement yet.

New TTM Code Can Yield 3~5x Faster Page Allocation For AMDGPU, Other Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TTM Code Can Yield 3~5x Faster Page Allocation For AMDGPU, Other Benefits

Phoronix: New TTM Code Can Yield 3~5x Faster Page Allocation For AMDGPU, Other Benefits

The Linux kernel's TTM memory management code that is most notably used by the Radeon / AMDGPU kernel drivers but also Nouveau, QXL, VMWGFX, and others, is seeing a new back-end allocation pool that can yield 3~5x faster page allocation performance for video memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uh, interesting! How would this be visible in real world applications and games? I mean, I would expect games to not constantly reallocate memory.

Comment

Nice, but why was the old code so bad? Who's to blame?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        My guess is that no one in particular. Like most code, it was probably designed for something simpler or otherwise for a different use case originally and then it has grown to cover more. It just was in need of a rewrite. It's quite common in software that some parts of code need rewrites to simplify them after time has passed.

Note that I didn't even look at the code so I don't know what's the truth here.

Comment

I would like to see a comparison benchmark.

Comment

Obviously : your mama sorry, couldn't resist ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

My guess is that no one in particular. Like most code, it was probably designed for something simpler or otherwise for a different use case originally and then it has grown to cover more. It just was in need of a rewrite. It's quite common in software that some parts of code need rewrites to simplify them after time has passed.

Note that I didn't even look at the code so I don't know what's the truth here.
              I believe TTM may have initially been written by VMWare, so it would make sense that it probably got extended in various ways it wasn't designed for when hardware drivers started using it.

Comment

Then one who asks and did not review nor write a patch before ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I believe TTM may have initially been written by VMWare, so it would make sense that it probably got extended in various ways it wasn't designed for when hardware drivers started using it.
                  TTM was originally written by Tungsten Graphics, before it was acquired by VMware. It was originally designed primarily for Intel integrated GPUs. For whatever reasons, Intel decided to invent GEM instead of going with TTM (even though the latter was already working with comparable functionality).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    Uh, interesting! How would this be visible in real world applications and games? I mean, I would expect games to not constantly reallocate memory.
                    I don't expect much improvement for real world applications. They just try to avoid freeing and reallocating memory quite hard because of the overhead.

Comment

Working...
                    X