It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank007
    Consider also the "real" hardware video acceleration: lost Flash Player, Linux user had no "real" video acceleration thru the gpu (maybe now it exists, I read something about but I have still no hardware decode thru GPU).
    i have video decode acceleration via gpu. it's not clear where you are missing it. if it's media player, try different one. if it's browser, try newer(maybe on better distro)/different and maybe google how to enable it

Comment

• Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
      1st. Transitioning entire aplication from X to wayland is big process for every single program. So new programs will still be going out using X for really long time, so Linux will be fragmentarized longer and longer.
      normal application doesn't have to do any transition. just use gtk and gtk already transitioned
      Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
      2nd.
      you are just misinformed

Comment

• Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
        Wonder what would happen to the Nvidia folks like me. I might be forced to change my GPU, which is kinda of wasteful
        well, you could try asking novideo to maintain xorg or to support wayland

Comment

• Originally posted by awesz View Post
          Why is X12 not a thing?
          it is. it is called wayland

Comment

• Originally posted by bearoso View Post
            Wayland runs as a client application, but it tries to prevent stuff like keyboard grabbing, mouse warping, or giving any client program control of anything, even though everything is sandboxed to the user. That, too, only protects users from themselves.
            you have nonconventional definition of sandboxing. usually it is used to protect user from attacks out of sandbox

Comment

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Wayland is a vague protocol
              x11 is also a vague protocol
              Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              with far fewer reatures (network aware is a critical one).
              only in imagination of imbeciles
              Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              If Xorg ever broke, I actually would stand up to the plate and fix it. Especially since there is no viable alternative. However, it isn't broken and doesn't need additional bloat just for the sake of it.
              xorg is both bloated and broken and i don't see you sticking to your word. instead you are just defining alternative reality

Comment

• Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                Maybe I read it and maybe I was suggesting that maybe they'll think whether supporting Wayland is a valuable enough effort for platform with just 1% of the market share.
                sdl supports wayland, what else you need?
                Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                Stadia? Seriously?
                seriously, as a matter of fact, do game developers care about linux which doesn't even support novideo?

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Now proprietary POS can eat their nvidia blobs without Wayland support. There's no future for them on Linux. Now birdie (or another nvidia POS) can port nvidia blob to Wayland (oh wait, it's a fucking proprietary shit) or fork X and maintain it himself 'it's Open source after all'.
                  It's easy to judge, but an Nvidia GPU + proprietary drivers was the only way to have good graphics under Desktop Linux. AMD has an open-source driver because it's not that good so they don't mind giving it away. This is the worst possible scenario when it comes to whatever is left of Desktop Linux's mainstream appeal: An X.org that's dead and a Wayland that doesn't support Nvidia GPUs.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Sometimes, it's better to do things yourself instead of waiting around for someone else to do it.
                    Why do people always assume highly specialized knowledge is abundant on the internet? Just because most techie people can code a small graphical application doesn't mean they know how to make Wine work with Wayland or dive into either codebase.

The "do it yourself" motivation applied perfectly in the great era of the CLI, because if you can code one Unix CLI app, you could code any Unix CLI app (save for compression and encryption stuff). Please stop using it, it has not been relevant for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
                      An X.org that's dead and a Wayland that doesn't support Nvidia GPUs.
                      Wayland doesn't support anything, since it is a wire protocol. Most of the existing compositors don't support Nvidia - or the other way around : Nvidia doesn't support them.

What would it mean for the BSD, if X11 is dead? Would they maintain it themselves? Or switch to Wayland based compositors as well? AFAIR Wayland support is in the works for FreeBSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X