It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I think they used to say the same thing about Ubuntu and Mir didn't they?
    no, they used to say the opposite thing about ubuntu and mir. mir was ubuntu going its own way, wayland is ubuntu returning back into family

Comment

• Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
      Wake me up when I can run Sway without telling me that "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"
      novideo slaves anonymous is behind next door

Comment

• Originally posted by user1 View Post
        The only native wayland software I can think of are some DE's, and some web browsers.
        you mean like 99% of time used software?
        Originally posted by user1 View Post
        Pretty much every other third party software doesn't support Wayland.
        sdl supports wayland, gtk supports wayland, wine has out-of-tree support, what else you are missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          There's lack of adoption because of the stuff I wrote/quoted above. What app developer would want to submit themselves to such a mess?
          you wrote/quoted wall of irrelevant text. consider for a moment that average app today is chromium wrapper and chromium does support wayland

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            Another thing I am starting to wonder about is WTF is The X.Org Foundation and what are they doing about it?
            they are developing wayland(surprise, you are the last one barking at x11 tree)

Comment

• Originally posted by bearoso View Post
              It was a few months back. Parts of the UI didn’t work right, and websites didn’t draw completely. I’ll give it a shot and see if it’s improved.
              More than a few months I would say. I've used it daily for a year and a half and I have had no such issues. There are glitches, but nothing of the sort you're describing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                I know enough about it that I know it does not work on my hardware.
                next time think before buying
                Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                If wayland was the be-all-and-end-all, everyone would have been happily running it by now
                wayland session is default in fedora for many years

Comment

• Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  I'm going to build a new PC onces Ryzen 5000 launches. I've used intel/nvidia for years on Linux with excellent results. But I'm fed up of not getting wayland. Maybe this is finally the year I'll switch to AMD/AMD
                  i'm planning to build new pc towards year end with new hardware releases. and to stay on amd/amd

Comment

• Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                    their is no huge feature that needs to be added
                    there are huge features what need to be added. but they can't be added without rewriting x11, so they will be added to wayland
                    Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                    Many cards won't work on Wayland. You seem to need a recent $2000 computer with the latest graphics adapter that cant be over 2 years old.
                    i have wayland on $100 second hand compuer
                    This is a gross misunderstanding of who Linux users are, who often use Linux to breath life into older computers which still function perfectly.
                    the one with gross misunderstandings is you
                    The Wayland architecture commits every bad design decision that X.org avoided.
                    and you also possess gross misunderstanding of software design
                    Last edited by pal666; 25 October 2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      It isn't even affiliated with the upstream Wayland developers.
                      Actually that's not true. Emersion works in wayland proper as well as maintaining sway & wlroots.

Comment

Working...
                      X