It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swoorup View Post

Yeah, and despite him being "born before me" has not made him wiser to realise that. I guess thats what we can call reverse ageing.
    It is not about me being "wiser" because I am older.

It is about people that entitle themselves to tell other people to fuck off from linux because they dislike half baked software that has only being around for a fraction of the time linux existed.

Comment

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

You can clearly see in stats like this: https://linux-hardware.org/index.php...display_server
      That Wayland "users" talk more about using Wayland than they do actually running it on their systems

7% Wayland usage is actually laughable. If you are not careful, running Wayland will become an internet meme like writing in Rust.
      the problem is, that most desktops (like Plasma) are still relying on Xorg and running them on wayland is just broken and I blame not having a public statement ending support for Xorg.

sure it kind of works, but Xorg is a security nightmare and really not something users should still use. And I am actually running plasma on wayland myself, so I am aware of the bugs and everything, but there was a strong reasons for me to switch: per display DPI scaling.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
        Wake me up when I can run Sway without telling me that "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia".
        Haha, that is a good one. The Sway developers have humor. You get a thumbs up - even if you didn't intend to be funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          ​​Seems to me the X.Org foundation is the biggest stumbling block for linux on the desktop ...
          Nah, the linux foundation is even worse...

Comment

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Nonsense. It is a library that a few compositors use because Wayland is too young to have proper standards. It isn't even affiliated with the upstream Wayland developers.
            You do not have a standard library like Xlib or XCB
            Look into a dictionary what "de facto standard" means. 🤦

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              GNOME 4 will not come, GNOME 40 will be the new release instead.
              Oh god no. They want to compete with browser version numbers?

Comment

• Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                Oh god no. They want to compete with browser version numbers?
                They want a higher version number than Plasma at all costs.

Comment

• Another one thing is blob Nvidia PRIME support. Whether you can run Wayland directly on Nvidia (not perfect but at least it runs), you have no PRIME support at all. And while even Linux laptops still produced with Nvidia cards we should deal with that blob shit and everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Another one thing is blob Nvidia PRIME support. Whether you can run Wayland directly on Nvidia (not perfect but at least it runs), you have no PRIME support at all. And while even Linux laptops still produced with Nvidia cards we should deal with that blob shit and everything.
                    prime is working here without problems using ubuntu 20.10, don't come with garbage,.

And for others about nvidia support, if ubuntu really goes with wayland in next realease we most likely will have a nvidia driver who works with wayland and xwayland. In my country only this year appear laptops with amd cards and apu, for many years we have no alternative if we need a laptop with capable dgpu, we need to buy one with a nvidia card, for a guy like who need to go with workstation almost in every place I need one, in last two years nvidia prime is working very well right now even hybrid mode is working with two monitor and sound. Most likely my next laptop will have a amd apu, not because is free but because I like new amd apu. but only next year after they launch with navi

Comment

• Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                      It's a better argument to say "I will stick with Xorg until Wayland is stable enough".
                      Or until Cinnamon devs care to support it

Comment

Working...
                      X