Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    Besides the fact that Wayland is still not feature complete
    Again: What's missing from Wayland, a protocol?

Comment

I run Wayland all the time on my laptop (with intel GPU), but my desktop has an Nvidia GPU and i can't get a satisfying result there
      Please Nvidia, support wayland...

Comment

This is sad, I hope someone steps to make a new release. A new release is needed for OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD, and TrueOS. Maybe other operating systems that use X.Org Server and don't have Wayland.

Also for distributions using Wayland it is still good with a new X.Org release since it contains XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Again: What's missing from Wayland, a protocol?
          I too am confused. I thought it was intentionally simplistic micro [wayland] vs macro [x]. I can see the logic behind it too since those "cool add-ons" might come and go like fads with the times. I mean, there is a lot of code in X for drawing shapes that if they were standalone would not have made it even halfway to 2020.

Comment

I don't get the defending the Xorg argument. It's really outdated and it's literally standing on it's last legs as shown that no one wants to work with it. Only end-users will defend it's features. It's not a bad thing to have a "feature" complete project but if you defend Xorg then you cannot ignore it's technological side either or you fall into a cognitive dissonance situation.

It's a better argument to say "I will stick with Xorg until Wayland is stable enough". But don't defend that Xorg on the premise of being "stable", which is equivalent to using dirty solutions/hacks for something to work.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
              I have to say I love how well GNOME on Wayland works. Perfect frames, no weird stuttering, no input blocking, real multitouch gestures. One thing that is quite lacking is a standard screen sharing/recording/casting protocol that all desktops supported. Other than that, it's already perfect (assuming you don't run Nvidia)
              And the stuttering that is present in Gnome is also in the X11 session because Gnome's "run everything in one thread" design is just fucked up in general.

Comment

I can already predict the plethora of short live forks that'll eventually spawn out of X.org. To be clear, I hope that it's maintained to some degree, but it is time for something newer and better to come along.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
                  I have to say I love how well GNOME on Wayland works. Perfect frames, no weird stuttering, no input blocking, real multitouch gestures. One thing that is quite lacking is a standard screen sharing/recording/casting protocol that all desktops supported. Other than that, it's already perfect (assuming you don't run Nvidia)
                  You just hit the nail right on the head.

If you run the right hardware with a specific set of tasks on GNOME then Wayland can be perfect. Don't run that hardware with those specific tasks on GNOME then Wayland is less than stellar and you're back to using X.

Comment

If XFCE worked on wayland I would have been happy. But instead I have to use another desktop environment where im less productive just because it supports wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                      For my fiancee i need a way to dim brightness and blue per commandline (she remote controls that through her phone)

Is that even theoretically possible with wayland?
                      On KDE Wayland it is (theoretically, that is). (Should be the) Same way you'd (remote) trigger brightness and blue shifting on X now. The only problem is KDE Wayland isn't a very nice experience unless you're doing some crap like a video kiosk so I have next to no experience using it outside of trying it out and saying to myself "not yet".

Comment

Working...
                      X