Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Phoronix: It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

The last major release of the X.Org Server was in May 2018 but don't expect the long-awaited X.Org Server 1.21 to actually be released anytime soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nope.

Comment

Because it's pretty much complete and stable.

The protocol has flaws, but Wayland still is a work in progress, lacking some important features...

(and a secret plot to GNOMize or destroy KDE)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Because it's pretty much complete and stable.
        As in the Debian definition of "stable" (=no longer changing which is precisely what the article is about). The gaping security flaws aren't getting fixed within Xorg Server. The official fix is Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

As in the Debian definition of "stable" (=no longer changing which is precisely what the article is about). The gaping security flaws aren't getting fixed within Xorg Server. The official fix is Wayland.
          I see you too have been introduced to the "Flaws? It's a feature" people

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Which is just awesome when you're a user sitting on the sidelines. We get to pick from one side that has security flaws and another side that doesn't work quite right.

Comment

I have to say I love how well GNOME on Wayland works. Perfect frames, no weird stuttering, no input blocking, real multitouch gestures. One thing that is quite lacking is a standard screen sharing/recording/casting protocol that all desktops supported. Other than that, it's already perfect (assuming you don't run Nvidia)

Comment

Besides the fact that Wayland is still not feature complete, is there even decent amount of third party software that natively supports Wayland besides web browsers?

Comment

Old code bases never die, they just fade away.

Comment

For my fiancee i need a way to dim brightness and blue per commandline (she remote controls that through her phone)

Is that even theoretically possible with wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X