No announcement yet.

It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine eventually XWayland is forked out of the project and the rest is let to rot in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Not sure the exact Plasma version, whatever Rawhide had two weeks ago, had panel flickering like crazy with its Wayland session. I only ran Rawhide for the day and Wayland for the minute.
      Rawhide is not a release distribution. It's the development branch. Rawhide had a Plasma beta back then and the Wayland default won't come before F34 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Rawhide is not a release distribution. It's the development branch. Rawhide had a Plasma beta back then and the Wayland default won't come before F34 anyway.
        Good. That's what I was hoping for based on what you said and Plasma 5.21 release notes. (Haven't read anything Fedora related since the F33 release notes).

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Hyperbola ported Xenocara to linux so I don't see any reason why it can't be used instead of X.org considering it solves X's security issues.
          It solves some and works around others.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Good. That's what I was hoping for based on what you said and Plasma 5.21 release notes. (Haven't read anything Fedora related since the F33 release notes).
            Looking at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...ntingency_Plan the final decision needs to be made before the F34 beta freeze. If the plans stays, the change is a release blocker, ie. Fedora 34 will not be released with a broken default session and fixes may postpone the entire F34 release.

Comment

Now proprietary POS can eat their nvidia blobs without Wayland support. There's no future for them on Linux. Now birdie (or another nvidia POS) can port nvidia blob to Wayland (oh wait, it's a fucking proprietary shit) or fork X and maintain it himself 'it's Open source after all'.
              Last edited by Volta; 25 October 2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Same with the BSDs: Game engines and WINE need to get their act together. It's almost 2021 and they're still dragging their feet.
                Sometimes, it's better to do things yourself instead of waiting around for someone else to do it.

Comment

Graphics tablet (Wacom) configuration still isn't possible on KDE Plasma with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                    Sometimes, it's better to do things yourself instead of waiting around for someone else to do it.
                    https://github.com/varmd/wine-wayland exists, it's not an upstream effort for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
                      I have to say I love how well GNOME on Wayland works. Perfect frames, no weird stuttering, no input blocking, real multitouch gestures. One thing that is quite lacking is a standard screen sharing/recording/casting protocol that all desktops supported. Other than that, it's already perfect (assuming you don't run Nvidia)
                      Screen sharing or casting in Wayland session is possible with pipewire. Chrome and Firefox both have pipewire webrtc support and I regularly cast/share my screen via jitsi or Microsoft Teams. See this post from May of this year:

With X11 now pretty much in maintenance mode, Wayland has been the default in GNOME for some time now. With the restrictions and confinement that most of us have been subject to for weeks now with COVID-19 many of us have been working from home and have been using apps like Jitsi, Teams and Zoom for work. I thought the following might be useful for anyone on this forum who has a requirement to screen-share. With PipeWire https://pipewire.org/ maturing I wanted to do some testing to see how scre...

Comment

Working...
                      X