Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Linux Graphics Driver Bugs Do You Hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever look at

That's a forum for Nvidia users.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I really wish people would read the README (or even what is plainly printed on the driver download page)
      If you have any questions or problems, please check the NVIDIA Linux discussion forum. If you don't find an answer to your question there, you can send email (in English) to [email protected].
      and you miss the point. There's no tracking record with that. You send off an email, and you have nothing to link to, nothing to point, no reference.

That's not support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Did you ever look at

There is also the #nvidia channel on freenode and Plagman is constantly on there getting and giving feedback as well as a few other nvidia guru's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Did you ever look at

and you get the same chew-out as well for missing the point.

did you ever look at Driverheaven.net ? Rage3d.com ? Phoronix.com ?

Yes, CatalystMaker reads Driverheaven.net and Rage3D. Yes, Mr. Bridgman and Alex read Phoronix. That doesn't make them feedback for reporting bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
            and you miss the point. There's no tracking record with that. You send off an email, and you have nothing to link to, nothing to point, no reference.

That's not support.
            You fire off a email you get a case number and a direct contact and email of the person looking into it. Trust me, been doing it for years and they are very good with responding and keeping you up to date with issues. That is better then most bugtrackers out there where crap sometimes goes unlooked at for sometimes months and years.

Comment

@Saist

Bugtrackers can be useful for huge projects, but even if you track em offically then it does not lead to faster solutions. If there is a direct way to get in contact with a developer I definitly prefer that over using a bugtracker. Some distro devs only do something when there is an open bug, maybe because they have to justify the time they spent on bug x to solve it and have got stats who did solve the most of em. Many huger problems you can found repeatedly on a forum, so it should be possible for dev to figure out where to look first too. But if they are unable to fix bugs then the most informative bugtracker will not help em.

Comment

Chrome9!! Chrome9!

Random screen corruption that can only be fixed, usually through a restart

Chrome9 Chrome9

Help VIA

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Take a linux distro from the 2001 era and see how well it runs out of the box on your modern system. Slipstreaming and integration of XP patches and drivers can relieve the issues you have with windows XP. nLite makes the whole process painless. In contrast if you downloaded the Windows 7 Beta you would see that on modern hardware even things like tv cards, bluetooth, sli, fakeraids, etc are supported on a vast majority of hardware out of the box, what isn't is usually easily found with a windows update. Comparing a OS that was put together 7+ years ago to one that was released a few days ago isn't exactly a fair comparison when it comes to what it supports out of the box.

Let's be fair, if someone was to compare Windows 7 to Redhat 7.2 there would be a lot of screaming.

Not sure what video card you have but both ATI and Nvidia have ogl3 window drivers.
                  Pretty fair comparison as windows vista would require the same amount of hardware messing. Every package I set up with xp i would have had to set up with vista. I didn't even count having to set up firewall and spyware blockers and everything.

Have to check it again but think Furmark was reporting GL 2.1 on lastest driver under windows.

Comment

@deanjo

Take a linux distro from the 2001 era and see how well it runs out of the box on your modern system.
                    Windows has even problems with current hardware. I had xp and GF2 MX and I had to replace my card, because xp refused to install (sp1 fixed this after long time waiting). An only reason why windows 'supports' many devices is third party members which provide drivers for it.
                    Last edited by kraftman; 02 March 2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheK
                      If they'd at least make a slower (no, not the 9400 GT, then I can stay with my current one) GPU with those old "low" values of 15/45W...
                      But they do? The low end usually has those values or less. My X1300 uses 30W max, reportedly 10W idle (possibly more under Linux, since not all power saving stuff is supported). The HD4350 should have similar values.

Comment

Working...
                      X