No announcement yet.

Disman Continues Taking Shape As Display Management Library For X11/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems like Canonical realised the problems with wayland and they created Mir as a result.
    The weird thing for me is how people hated Canonical for creating Mir (on their own time and budget and giving it away for free).
    Wayland will struggle for another 11 years if they don't use Mir or something like it...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post

Roman's efforts are actually aiming to clear this mess up a bit. If his display management infrastructure actually works with most Wayland compositors, it will be a huge win even if support doesn't include Mutter.

I really home Roman's KWinFT project pans out well, KWin is in a dire need of a major update.
      There are three working Wayland compositors currently, Mutter, Wlroots and Mir. He doesn't seem to work on either of them and his work seems to be useless to those 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

There are three working Wayland compositors currently, Mutter, Wlroots and Mir. He doesn't seem to work on either of them and his work seems to be useless to those 3.
        Directly from the article:
        This allows Disman to work seamlessly on X11 with RandR and under Wayland by the likes of KDE's KWin, the KWinFT fork, and also WLROOTS-based compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          one of stupid thing I hate about Linux is there so many compositors and Display manager and no one need all this or ask for it
          One of the stupid things I hate about most other OS's is that I have to put up with whatever compositor or DM (or whatever the equivalent of said OS is) they think is best, even if I don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            The weird thing for me is how people hated Canonical for creating Mir (on their own time and budget and giving it away for free)
            Do you even remember Mir announcement?
            They were basically saying that wayland sucks instead of being real of the NIH syndrome.

Canonical had a initially planned to have Mir ready in 1 year, and we know what happened then

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Do you even remember Mir announcement?
              They were basically saying that wayland sucks instead of being real of the NIH syndrome.

Canonical had a initially planned to have Mir ready in 1 year, and we know what happened then
              Wayland is also not like 100% complete, you know If Canonical would not drop Mir maybe it could be already finished by this time.

Comment

Just to point out, wlroots is not a compositor, but a library to make compositors with. Like Sway.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  And by now they made the right call and got with the program. Interesting to see. Yet I miss the Canonical of Ubuntu Phone and Unity 8. They had a different sort of ambition.

Comment

As MadCatX pointed out at least wlroots-based compositors are supported already in Disman. For Mutter I would like to add support too. There is an open ticket for that.

To be honest I can't directly say what display management solution Mir is using. I assume they don't have one yet because of this ticket. But since the wlroots protocol was mentioned in there and if they decide to use it Disman would directly work with Mir too.

I released yesterday a new beta for all KWinFT projects including Disman. You can read more about the technical details and how to try it out in the following blog post that I wrote for the release: Universal means to specific ends

Comment

Too bad it uses C++. Requiring C++ for this kind of basic utility will increase the footprint of many GTK/Glib/C based desktops.

Comment

Working...
                      X