X.Org Server 1.20.9 Released With Numerous XWayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You forgot to add what drivers you're using. If nvidia crap then everything is clear.
    amdgpu and r600g depending on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
      It's so good that after a couple of days of testing, I swapped from Ubuntu to using Fedora on my Thinkpad, but it's intel-only graphics.
      I still have performance and crash issues on Wayland with Intel-only graphics. I wish people would stop repeating that Intel-only is *the* thing you need to run Wayland smoothly 'cause it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        tildearrow Slight correction.

Thread: Xwayland

Discussion: Xwayland and Wayland
        It's about X.org 1.20.9 which happens to include Wayland, so your correction is only 10% right.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          My personal nitpick regarding Wayland readyness still is output configuration. Custom modes and output properties are basically not supported in a practice. In particular, I cannot configure the Broadcast RGB option, which controls the output range (full/0-255 or limited/16-235). The autodetection of Intel drivers often gets it wrong (no surprise here, displays don't clearly advertise this and the driver can only use some simple heuristics). On X, it's easy to correct with xrandr, but on GNOME Wayland, or any other compositor I know, like sway, it's not possible to configure this.

This isn't a new issue either, there are bug reports in various projects and they've been open for years.
          True. People have varying requirements. For instance, adaptive sync, > 144 Hz refresh rate, 10 bit color channels, larger than Adobe RGB gamut across all apps, calibrated color profiles, 8k monitors or 3 x HDR 4k monitors with high frame rate. Limited RGB range for TVs and infotainment systems. BGR subpixel layout. USB display adapters. Video over wifi. Content encryption. Audio over DP/HDMI. Pivot with rotating subpixel layout profiles

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            amdgpu and r600g depending on the system.
            Ok, that's a different story. I'm on Fedora which is probably the best Wayland distribution. With Ubuntu there were some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              Get help.
              Get help for what? Accept pop culture and degrade into a monkey with GNOME's horrible UX?

Comment

I figure that by the time Wayland is actually ready for widespread prime time use it will be supported by XFCE.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Xorg needs to be replaced for a variety of reasons. But the simple fact is that Wayland is still plagued by numerous problems, many having been well documented and discussed in this thread. However whenever Wayland comes up I notice there are always groups of people claiming it's ready for everyone, and from all the bug reports and stories of people trying it and surrendering, that just doesn't ring true.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open though, and try it on a VM from time to time. But of course since I run XFCE, and am unlikely to change since I'm in my 60s and prefer simple and direct desktops, I'm also unlikely to use Wayland until XFCE supports it. And I imagine that is two or three years away, and as I said in the beginning that's probably how long it will take for Wayland development to be complete, and its adoption widespread.

There will come a day when Xorg is dead though, and while I'll remember it fondly, I'll be happy to move on to something more modern, efficient, and secure.

Comment

Gentoo pulled this release due to some bugs stopping some systems from booting. Last I saw upstream is still investigating it.

Here's the bug tracking it https://bugs.gentoo.org/739056
                  Last edited by aphysically; 27 August 2020, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    But the simple fact is that Wayland is still plagued by numerous problems, many having been well documented and discussed in this thread. However whenever Wayland comes up I notice there are always groups of people claiming it's ready for everyone, and from all the bug reports and stories of people trying it and surrendering, that just doesn't ring true.
                    It's almost funny indeed.

Many people are stating it's ready, then at the end of their praise, they add something like:
                    - Only a couple of challenges
                    - The only problems I've ran into are
                    - Just a few issues left
                    - If that issue could now be solved, it would really be perfect.

That's what I was saying, the moment you put together all the diversity of workflows, those 1-2 issues everyone has become hundreds of issues. But some refuse to acknowledge them because they're just too focused on their own workflow seemingly working fine. They don't see the bigger picture.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    I'll keep my eyes and ears open though, and try it on a VM from time to time.
                    There will come a day when Xorg is dead though, and while I'll remember it fondly, I'll be happy to move on to something more modern, efficient, and secure.
                    I'll do the same, check once in a while. With Gnome and GDM, it's just a log out away.
                    When I deem it ready for my workflow(s), I'll be happy to move on. It's still probably going to be another 2 years though, given the above-mentioned hundreds of issues here and there. And it's alright.

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
                      Gentoo pulled this release due to some bugs stopping some systems from booting. Last I saw upstream is still investigating it.

Here's the bug tracking it https://bugs.gentoo.org/739056
                      Got it earlier this morning as well in Manjaro.

Comment

Working...
                      X