X.Org's Latest Security Woes Are Bugs In LibX11, Xserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    This time it is an actual KDE/SDDM problem. Some dev added "(Wayland)" without thinking SDDM already did this.
    But that's the end of the world! It's almost as bad as a typo!

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      As usual, anyone can try by himself how stably KDE Plasma works. A Kubuntu virtual machine can be downloaded from https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/kubuntu-2004 and run. You don't need to believe internet commenters if you can see it by yourself easily.
      Some hints about those virtual machines that can be downloaded:
      - Disable the network access of the virtual machine (I only enable it in the virtual machines that I produce).
      - If you want more speed while trying the virtual machine (because you are not going to regularly use the virtual machine): go to "System settings", in the search box write "File search", press Enter, and disable the "Enable File Search" checkbox.
      - If you need even more speed, you can disable desktop effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Its not like thats the only quality issue with KDE. There are big major technical issues ignored since years like the insanely embarrassing point that Kwin still syncs to a timer offset from vblank and thats one of the smaller problems.
        If you want anything working, not just Wayland, don't use KDE.
        This is kind of misleading. The reason why KDE sinks to a timer offset is because historically Linux graphic card drivers have been terrible and this was the most reliable way KDE could make KWin work on a wide array of graphics cards and their drivers. This is the exact point that a KDE developer made when KWin was forked.

So in summary, this wasn't a quality issue with KDE but rather graphics drivers.

Note that there is an argument this may not be required because graphics drivers have improved a lot.
        Last edited by mdedetrich; 31 July 2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu/Plasma for 18 months now and love it, won't go back to the default Ubuntu DE. What does:

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          ... the insanely embarrassing point that Kwin still syncs to a timer offset from vblank
          mean (exactly), why should I care, and why is it "embarrassing"?

Comment

Originally posted by wagner17 View Post

What other issues are you seeing with KDE on Wayland?
            KRunner acts up. You can type in it and it will accept input. But it will stop updating the UI after the first character or so.
            The Konsole I had open in my X session is nowhere to be found.
            The panel got moved to the wrong screen. When I tried to move it back, it got lost, I can't see in anywhere. When adding another panel, I'm informed there are instances of my favorite widgets already running, so it's the original panel still runs somewhere, unseen.
            Night light is also acting up (it's not exactly solid in X either, it just feels more impredictible in Wayland).
            Some desktop effects got turned off (maybe I can turn them on again, but in the light of the above, it's not worth it).

On the plus side, independent monitor scaling seems to work as advertised. Moving windows around feels smoother, but since my monitors are 60Hz, there will always be some ghosting.
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You using Ubuntu? Because with Neon installed on Ubuntu 20.04 my entries include "Plasma (Wayland) (Wayland)" and "Ubuntu on Wayland (Wayland)". It's making me wonder if either SLIM or Ubuntu tacks on (Wayland) to Wayland sessions.
            Nope. Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

So in summary, this wasn't a quality issue with KDE but rather graphics drivers.

Note that there is an argument this may not be required because graphics drivers have improved a lot.
              You're right but drivers improved a lot so instead of still using "Bad drivers" arguments, they should finally improve this. Just like kwin-lowlatency fork does.

Also they should bring back full screen undirection. Disabling whole compositor is not only annoying but also is not the right way to do it. Does Windows, macOS or Android disables composition completely? It's not that bad with games on full screen (unless you want to Alt-Tab) but it's very annoying when you run some SDL2 application in window and KDE disables composition. Yeah, you can disable that but performance will drop and setting windows rules for every application is not very comfortable.

I'm aware that GNOME has disadvantages, so don't take this as another "Holy GNOME vs KDE war" comment but compositing works much better on GNOME. Not only it is always active and full screen undirection is used (I've compared full screen graphics performance between GNOME and some window manager without compositor and there wasn't noticeable difference) but it's also pretty stable. On KDE I sometimes saw panel flickering during Cover Flow Alt-Tab animation.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                KRunner acts up. [...] On the plus side, independent monitor scaling seems to work as advertised. Moving windows around feels smoother, but since my monitors are 60Hz, there will always be some ghosting.
                About issues which are not on https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers , bug reports in bugs.kde.org would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

About issues which are not on https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers , bug reports in bugs.kde.org would be useful.
                  Obviously, but it takes some time to file a proper bug report

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Use a better distro.
                    I would, but nothing is better than Arch, du-uh

Comment

Working...
                    X