Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Seeing Kernel GPU Driver Support Two Decades Later For Matrox G200 Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I'd love for tech in general to tell politics to bugger off and focus on the actual work at hand. However unfortunately with stuff like the recent decision to stop people from using a very useful analogy based on something awful that happened centuries ago only to satisfy a few peoples' white savior complexes that's obviously not going to happen in the near future.
    The way this seems to so deeply effect you is somewhat concerning. I'd suggest reflecting on why you believe this is such a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
      Plus, no doubt it helped having the same developer writing the game and the driver.
      Well, actually... :P
      (history time. The TLDR is "no doubt it did, but not for the reason you think").

I only remember this because I found it when going through old paperwork last winter, but: prior to release, the *output* details of Tech3's renderer were made public specifically so that driver writers could optimise for it. 100% of submits were fully-featured polys (that is, geometry + full vertexcolor + TC), optionally with the second TMU enabled, via CVA. And that was it. All the things that people had historically screwed around with different command streams for (e.g. enabling/disabling alpha blending) were done by modifying the vertex data instead: even the 2D elements were "really" 3D using the same vertext format. So all you had to do to make your cards run Tech3 well was handle that one (and a bit) path well.

So yes, the Matrox driver was undoubtedly optimised for it: but so were the nVidia and ATI drivers. Even the handful of also-rans still alive back then had equal opportunity, and it just came down to how good their hardware and drivers were.
      (Mind you, that didn't stop ATI *still* managing to screw it up by failing to handle the array locking properly. Some things never change... :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
        I half expected this patch to come from John Carmack.

Plus, no doubt it helped having the same developer writing the game and the driver.
        Hopefully this is true. It seems John Carmack is working on parts of OpenBSD as a hobby project:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=158965652915344

So we can expect some pretty great Doom support? Probably not. He is quite possibly sick of that game by now haha

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Europe does care a bit, especially with CoronaChan. His (and his staff's) complete ineptitude is starting to hurt our economy too.
          Covid-19 has nothing to do with American President...I hope.
          Its Irrelevant, the US President is protecting US economy..

Europe needs to have competent president's to also protect their economies, which Europe in grand part, don't have...Europe has 56 Countries( more or less 51 recognized by all. ), but the subject is not related with the article..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Its Irrelevant, the US President is protecting US economy..
            You have no idea of what is happening on the other side of the pond, right?
            The orange man isn't protecting anything at this point. USA is a sinking ship, their economy got nuked. In a month or two people will start getting evicted en-masse as they can't pay rent anymore and the current situation will look like it's a summer holiday.

Europe needs to have competent president's to also protect their economies
            Eh, their government managed to do a better job than US with the CoronaChan at least, still not great, but it's less of a raging dumpster fire.

Comment

You have no idea of what is happening on the other side of the pond, right?
              The orange man isn't protecting anything at this point. USA is a sinking ship, their economy got nuked. In a month or two people will start getting evicted en-masse as they can't pay rent anymore and the current situation will look like it's a summer holiday.
              Again Irrelevant,
              The Covid-19 is provoking chaos worldwide, US has a lot of infected people not because of Trump, but because the health System in the US doesn't exist for the average Joe..only private..
              They have no public health system, its unbelievable but its truth( even 3rd world countries have them..).

The US instead of taking the money and create a public health Service... they decide to kill millions and millions of innocent people in the middle east and other places..in Wars..this is the problem..

The US ended the Obama Care, because the Obama care, was a thing to enrich the private health sector, that's why it was abolished, it was not there to treat people decently..

But is the president responsible for a country that says that is n1 in the world, but has no Public Health System?
              Of Course Not!
              He is there to safeguard American interests, that's why he got elected..

European people needs to start thinking by themselves, and have competent President's, to safeguard their interests..
              The world is injustice everywhere, is the biggest injustice we know, but its what we have..

Eh, their government managed to do a better job than US with the CoronaChan at least, still not great, but it's less of a raging dumpster fire.
              Well people in other countries are not so better either, we are still confined, and now is cumming a second Wave( worst the Bubonic Plague is starting to spread just noe, was discovered in Mongolia, spread to China, is already in the US, and Russia starts to be very Worried about it..!! read a bit about it.. )

The difference is that Europe, is a more civilized place, people are used to follow rules( at least in my country, but speaking broadly we all are.. )..
              We also have public Health Care Systems in any Country of Europe, at least in 51 Countries, of the 56 possible!
              That is a big big big difference..

But if they( US ) were a 1st World Country, and had implemented in the last 40 years a Public Health Care System, they would be a lot better, even with the public disorder and so on..
              Now they are at the Level of Brasil, but no worries, they will continue to make wars..

But all of this has zero to do with the US president,
              But instead with the establishment, Trump at least is trying to put the US afloat, when Trump got Elected, US was in a very bad shape, China had already surpassed it, and now its Again at the top, but there are black holes like a Pandemic will demonstrate.. and I think US will be very bad,

But I don't blame the American President for wanting to rise the level of his country, that is the duty of any nation Presidency..

Now all of this above is also "out of Subject"
              Because no Matrox Pandemic..

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                The way this seems to so deeply effect you is somewhat concerning. I'd suggest reflecting on why you believe this is such a big deal.
                I honestly can't be bothered to write up an in-depth explanation of why I don't want the open source movement to delve into politics as much as it has; But the short version is that I don't want it to suffer the same kind of self-inflicted "divide and conquer" that caused the atheist/skeptic community to become a mere shadow of it's former self after much of it decided to make it inseparable from their personal feminism and identity politics. Only part of the movement that still exists and holds events is the right wing which flatly rejected it while the left wing collapsed under internal bickering.

The civil rights movement of the 1960s was so successful by trying very hard to be inclusive and not give into more divisive and extreme voices like those of Malcom X. I'm not saying that their modern day equivalents in the tech space should be silenced, but rather that they shouldn't be put up front and center instead of more inclusive voices like the modern day tech equivalents of Martin Luther King.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
                  Why though? This is the kind of stuff that should be removed, not added.
                  Old graphics card are nice as they can be pcie x1 cards. This is useful for making low-end severs as the main pci-e slot can go to a HBA. There are plenty pcie x1 matrox card. So I like it. Actually I hit this site by searching for support of exactly this GPU that article presents.

Comment

Working...
                  X