Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Developer Posts Latest Patch For Variable Refresh Rate Within X.Org Modesetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    pathic code from pathic Developer this intel for you my both Haswell and ivy bridge laptop work like crap in Linux and because lazy Developer decided to write multi library for Hardware video acceleration and for openCL support and know they dropping support for 7gen+.

this way apple abandoned intel and console game come with AMD CPU

The i965 driver works alright for me. It gets me through the day on my Xeon E3-1276v3.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

HDMI VRR is only supported on HDMI port 2.1 and above, so if the hardware supports it, then the driver work will be done to support it on hardware.
      Nvidia added support for it to their HDMI 2.0 hardware:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu..._series_gpus/1

It is not clear if adding support for it requires HDMI 2.1 hardware. It could just be that Nvidia's hardware was more flexible from supporting this kind of thing for a longer period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

Nvidia added support for it to their HDMI 2.0 hardware:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu..._series_gpus/1

It is not clear if adding support for it requires HDMI 2.1 hardware. It could just be that Nvidia's hardware was more flexible from supporting this kind of thing for a longer period of time.
        Well it could be that those GPUs actually do support HDMI 2.1 which is why it happened. Also if you read the article, VRR is apparently a mandatory part of the HDMI 2.1 standard. So maybe the only thing that held NVIDIA back from declaring those cards as HDMI 2.1 capable was the implementation of HDMI VRR in their driver code, that they've finally accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It looks like X.Org is continuously improving and now fulfilling many of the premises of Wayland.
          Not really. If this was possible, Wayland wouldn't exist.

The Xorg DDX and modesetting driver are mostly seeing minor tweaks and fixes these days, most of the work in the xserver tree is going into Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Not really. If this was possible, Wayland wouldn't exist.

The Xorg DDX and modesetting driver are mostly seeing minor tweaks and fixes these days, most of the work in the xserver tree is going into Xwayland.
            Yeah, but X.org Server supports HDR, VRR, high bit depth, 4K, VESA Adaptive-Sync and all these new, modern, cool features and yet still outperforms Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, but X.org Server supports HDR, VRR, high bit depth, 4K, VESA Adaptive-Sync and all these new, modern, cool features
              Neither Xorg nor X11 in general supports HDR. I wouldn't bet any money on it ever happening for the former. It's one of the things which will be much easier with Wayland.

VRR and VESA Adaptive Sync are two names for the same thing, which is already supported by some Wayland compositors as well. In contrast to Xorg, Wayland compositors may be able to make use of it even during normal desktop operation (with Xorg it can only be used for certain fullscreen apps like games).

There is nothing preventing Wayland compositors from supporting high bit depth. In contrast to Xorg, they can switch colour depth on the fly.

4K works fine with Wayland of course.

and yet still outperforms Wayland.
              Outperforms by what metric? Certainly not when it comes to desktop snappiness, in particular when resizing windows.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                Outperforms by what metric? Certainly not when it comes to desktop snappiness, in particular when resizing windows.
                In performance benchmarks as seen on Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                X