Qualcomm Adreno 650 + 640 GPUs To Be Supported By Mainline Linux 5.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Adreno 650 + 640 GPUs To Be Supported By Mainline Linux 5.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Qualcomm Adreno 650 + 640 GPUs To Be Supported By Mainline Linux 5.8 Kernel

The crew working on the MSM DRM driver from Freedreno / Google / Code Aurora (Qualcomm) have an interesting batch of changes for this open-source GPU driver for Qualcomm Adreno hardware come Linux 5.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and used by the Snapdragon 45/615/616/617 SoCs.
    Hmm... is that a typo?

Comment

robclark So we have support for current gen devices now? 🤯

Comment

Are any other Qualcomm phone processors in the Kernel?
        Would this mean we are closer running 'proper" Linux on phone hardware without the current ROM hurdles or is it for something else?

I'm not really up to date with the current Linux/android/Phone relationship but this seems interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          I'm not really up to date with the current Linux/android/Phone relationship but this seems interesting.
          More likely support for the ARM laptops, that 24h battery laptops, they had a commercial name for that

Comment

Snapdragon 8cx uses the Adreno 680 so looks like Linux on an arm laptop with 16GB RAM is not yet an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              Are any other Qualcomm phone processors in the Kernel?
              Would this mean we are closer running 'proper" Linux on phone hardware without the current ROM hurdles or is it for something else?

Running Linux on a phone still requires some scripts and additional work but more and more devices can be booted that way.
              PostmarketOS helps with that

Comment

A bit offtopic, but what's the current state of modem support of Qualcomm chips for the mainline kernel? Can it be already used at least for mobile data?

Comment

Is the 630 not also supported? A lot of the files seem to start with A6XX.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    robclark So we have support for current gen devices now? 🤯
                    well, display support for those SoCs was posted shortly after I sent the msm-next pull req.. so those won't be landing until v5.9.. not sure what the situation is as far as rest of things that are needed to get far enough to care about display/gpu..

Comment

Working...
                    X