Adaptive-Sync/VRR Seeing Port To xf86-video-modesetting Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Now that Wayland firefox is THE browser to use on Linux if you want performance and vaapi support, and Gnome Wayland is rock solid, it is just a matter of time.
    Just curious, have you made it work? I've enabled most settings I think are necessary but it's not HW decoding for me. Also I'm having crashes with some of the dmabuf settings enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by LumielGR View Post

Just curious, have you made it work? I've enabled most settings I think are necessary but it's not HW decoding for me. Also I'm having crashes with some of the dmabuf settings enabled.
      Yes, it is working perfectly on Archlinux with radeonsi and gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

LOL. You are so delusional. Wayland will be mainstream in 1-2 years from now. 21.04 of Ubuntu most likely will make it default. Now that Wayland firefox is THE browser to use on Linux if you want performance and vaapi support, and Gnome Wayland is rock solid, it is just a matter of time.
        Yeah I've heard that Ubuntu will soon use Wayland as default for the last 4 years or so. Even Debian Stable has switched to Wayland now but Ubuntu is always going for it "soon".

That's what happens when you work with NVIDIA drivers. I say screw it, if NVIDIA doesn't want to play in the sandbox then they're free to go and throw rocks somewhere else. We've given them every chance to play by the rules and have even played for them with the Nouveau driver, only to have NVIDIA make their new cards require binary blobs we can't get.

I'm not usually much for playing politics but at some point enough is enough. NVIDIA needs a wake up call and EGLStreams is just a stalling tactic.

Back on topic, Wayland need more common code for doing stuff like this. duby229 is right, X11 still lives on today because it has a large shared codebase where everything is implemented once and then just works for all DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by LumielGR View Post

You should get hardware decoding as long as:

- You're running a wayland compositor

- You're launching firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. You can verify that firefox is running natively under wayland by going to about:support and seeing if it says Wayland/Drm next to 'Window Protocol'.

- You have widget.wayland-dmabuf-vaapi.enabled set to true

- You have the appropriate vaapi driver installed (on current versions of ubuntu this will usually be installed by default). I would suggest installing the vainfo package and running the vainfo command in a terminal to verify that the vaapi driver is installed/working.

- Your hardware supports decoding the codec for the video you're playing. Also note that in order to decode vp9 (provided that your hardware supports it), you need to set media.ffvpx.enable to false in about:config to disable firefox's neutered built-in ffmpeg.

NOTE: IMO this isn't worth using until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619882

EDIT: The above issue is fixed now in firefox 78 beta! hardware accel is working great for me now
          Last edited by bwat47; 03 June 2020, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

- Your hardware supports decoding the codec for the video you're playing. Also note that in order to decode vp9 (provided that your hardware supports it), you need to set media.ffvpx.enable to false in about:config to disable firefox's neutered built-in ffmpeg.

NOTE: IMO this isn't worth using until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619882
            I already had the other things configured / working, this was the only thing missing! thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              EDIT: The above issue is fixed now in firefox 78 beta! hardware accel is working great for me now
              It looks like Firefox just disabled widget.wayland-dmabuf-video-textures.enabled in Nightly because it's not stable enough. This is also required now for HW decoding.

edit: this is finally fixed and not necessary any more.
              Last edited by LumielGR; 18 June 2020, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X