Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptive-Sync/VRR Seeing Port To xf86-video-modesetting Driver

Phoronix: Adaptive-Sync/VRR Seeing Port To xf86-video-modesetting Driver

Currently if wanting to use Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync variable refresh rate support of the AMDGPU DRM kernel driver you need to be using the xf86-video-amdgpu X.Org driver for proper handling as well, but a port of the DDX bits to the generic xf86-video-modesetting driver is in the works...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WAYLAND...haha it's becoming a joke now. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
      WAYLAND...haha it's becoming a joke now. Sad.
      I guess it already works in Wayland?
      But I don't know. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I guess it already works in Wayland?
        But I don't know. Just a guess.
        It does but only for GNOME/Mutter. It has to be implemented by the compositor.

Comment

Sad to see how there's very little interest of getting this into Wayland aside from in GNOME, but KDE Plasma still has other hiccups on Wayland anyway. I quite enjoy using adaptive sync on my main machine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
            Sad to see how there's very little interest of getting this into Wayland aside from in GNOME, but KDE Plasma still has other hiccups on Wayland anyway. I quite enjoy using adaptive sync on my main machine though.
            I'm 100% positive it isn't a matter of interest, it's a matter of difficulty. Duplication of effort is probably the -only- legacy wayland will be remembered for. 25 years from now I have little doubt most people will still be using X11 and wayland will be a horrible memory.
            Last edited by duby229; 25 May 2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              25 years from now I have little doubt most people will still be using X11 and wayland will be a horrible memory.
              Notice that this code change is going into modeset. Which is the in-kernel graphics support. Which is what Wayland uses.

In 25 years you may still think you're using X11, but it will only be a thin wrapper over code which is identical to a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It does but only for GNOME/Mutter. It has to be implemented by the compositor.
                https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-Sync-Pending now merged.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm 100% positive it isn't a matter of interest, it's a matter of difficulty. Duplication of effort is probably the -only- legacy wayland will be remembered for. 25 years from now I have little doubt most people will still be using X11 and wayland will be a horrible memory.
                  LOL. You are so delusional. Wayland will be mainstream in 1-2 years from now. 21.04 of Ubuntu most likely will make it default. Now that Wayland firefox is THE browser to use on Linux if you want performance and vaapi support, and Gnome Wayland is rock solid, it is just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

LOL. You are so delusional. Wayland will be mainstream in 1-2 years from now. 21.04 of Ubuntu most likely will make it default. Now that Wayland firefox is THE browser to use on Linux if you want performance and vaapi support, and Gnome Wayland is rock solid, it is just a matter of time.
                    The only problem is, you are forced to share the whole desktop in XWayland Zoom meetings.

Comment

Working...
                    X