X.Org Board Elections Wrap Up For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    MrCooper Important Xwayland patches are backported. Sometimes they just develop for master and then immediately backport to 1.20.x. That comes with the least maintenance cost.
    MrCooper already knows that, because he's written a lot of those patches.

Comment

The Meritocracy decides and they told X.org was in hard maintenance mode back in June 2019. So they are not working on any imminent 1.21 releases. So yeah all you get is fixes backported to 1.20.x.
      The "Wayland Meritocracy", aka Red Hat, are major contributors to Xserver, but they are not the only ones and they do not own it. Why is that so difficult for you to process? (Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question. We know it's difficult for you to process because it counters your "GNOME is the standard/default/only desktop" trolling.)
      And while the Red Hat blog post did talk about X moving to a maintenance mode, it also stated that would happen after XWayland work and referenced the support life of RHEL 8, which is 2029 or so.

Commits (and not just ones that are candidates for backporting) continue in XServer's git, including commits from your beloved Illuminati. So yes, I believe we'll have Xserver 1.21, and it will be beneficial to Wayland and non-Wayland users alike, whether you like it or not...

Comment

EDIT: I hate unapproved posts.
        Last edited by DanL; 30 April 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

The X.org foundation board is not involved in technical matters of the foundation projects.
          Perhaps but they may assign someone to lead the project so we get a release soon.

Comment

MrCooper Important Xwayland patches are backported. Sometimes they just develop for master and then immediately backport to 1.20.x. That comes with the least maintenance cost.
            You really just need to fork it and maintain the code yourself, since you know so much more than anyone else, including the developers. We are almost certainly missing out on major features because of the lack of a knowledgeable leader for the project like you.

Comment

DanL Naturally the Meritocracy extends beyond Red Hat.
              andyprough Forks are for drama queens. I fully support the current strategy of releasing 1.20.x versions with important Xwayland fixes.

Comment

I fully support the current strategy of releasing 1.20.x versions with important Xwayland fixes.
                Once again, there are more than XWayland fixes in Xserver point releases. I'd copy/paste the changelogs for you, but I've already done that in the past, and you can't comprehend it, or more likely, don't want to comprehend it because it ruins your trolling narrative.

Comment

DanL Naturally the Meritocracy extends beyond Red Hat.
                  andyprough Forks are for drama queens. I fully support the current strategy of releasing 1.20.x versions with important Xwayland fixes.
                  OK, good point. But if you were a drama queen - which you clearly are not - you would fork it, because you could run it better than it is being run now. I think we've clearly established that.

I'm just glad to know that you are out there, fighting for us little people, using your super powers for the causes of truth and justice and freedom. Like our very own Superman.

Comment

DanL Well none of this is our business. Arm chair comments on Phoronix doesn’t matter.
                    That's a clever excuse to keep going and attempting to conquer Phoronix.

Comment

tildearrow I’m not really sure what you are saying here. If it is something like “Rock music is poisoning the youth” then get over it. Until now no one wanted to do a 1.21 release. And that might never change.

Comment

Working...
                      X