Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20.8 Released With No Sign Of GLAMOR/XWayland-Improved X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    pieman No one seek to replace xorg.
    Then tell me why Arcan display server was created?

Comment

TemplarGR Most of Red Hat’s team now work directly on Mutter.

So who is gonna fo the half year worth of release engineering and another 5 years of maintenance?

Not Red Hat.
      Not Canonical.
      Not SUSE.
      Not Debian.
      Not GNOME.
      Then why did they even implement new features on the 1.21 branch? Seems like that was a waste of time then...
      Last edited by Vistaus; 30 March 2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
        wlroots sees actual live usage by people and is pretty polished. The downside is no nvidia proprietary driver support - I can understand the argument against, but the truth is a lot of people out there use nvidia.

Weren't we promised some news this year on open source support by nvidia?
        Who are these "lots of people"? Most laptops and even desktops don't even have NVIDIA GPU's anymore nowadays (as in: the past 6 years and even to this very day). Yes, you can put an NVIDIA card in yourself, but the majority of people don't do that.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 30 March 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

DanL That’s like your opinion man.. And your opinion doesn’t matter.

The only thing that matters are capable devs who are willing to take on the huge task of releasing and maintaining 1.21. Right now no one is willing to do that.
          Yeah sure, and you opinion always matters.

Comment

Just release Xorg 1.21 already, KDE is *not* ready for Wayland still, and I could care less about GNOME. The world doesn't revolve around GNOME it certainly won't for me.

Until KDE has working Wayland support thats ready, Xorg is needed, Red Hat step up your game and stop continuing to be a GNOME only shop, it's getting pretty tiring already.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
              Just release Xorg 1.21 already, KDE is *not* ready for Wayland still, and I could care less about GNOME. The world doesn't revolve around GNOME it certainly won't for me.

Until KDE has working Wayland support thats ready, Xorg is needed, Red Hat step up your game and stop continuing to be a GNOME only shop, it's getting pretty tiring already.
              GNOME is one of the easiest DE's to commercially support, so that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Who are these "lots of people"? Most laptops and even desktops don't even have NVIDIA GPU's anymore nowadays (as in: the past 6 years and even to this very day). Yes, you can put an NVIDIA card in yourself, but the majority of people don't do that.
                On the laptop world, if you want discrete graphics at the moment it will always be intel + nvidia. There's just next to no amd laptops out there. Laptop gaming is therefore a nvidia only job. Machine learning requires tensorflow, which requires CUDA which is nvidia specific. Only because you personally haven't bought nvidia in the last 6 years doesn't mean that magically nobody else does.

Comment

Working...
                X