Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20.8 Released With No Sign Of GLAMOR/XWayland-Improved X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royce View Post
    Sway is far from shitty.
    To its defense, because it is based on i3 it is kinda "babies first tiler". It is very heavy for what it is and has too much "GUI".
    For example you have "tabbed" or "stacking" modes but both always display titlebars if there are multiple windows. Wasteful and silly. This is one example of a bug report (https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3617)

It is too aimed at beginners to the "tiling world" basically.

And with Wayland this kinda stuff is all you got because it is too much work to fork and maintain the equivalent of an entire top half of Xorg so I guess you just gotta make do .
    Last edited by kpedersen; 30 March 2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

To its defense, because it is based on i3 it is kinda "babies first tiler". It is very heavy for what it is and has too much "GUI".
      For example you have "tabbed" or "stacking" modes but both always display titlebars if there are multiple windows. Wasteful and silly.
      man 5 sway

This is one example of a bug report (https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3617)
      That bug report is from i3, what does it have to do with sway?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        TemplarGR Most of Red Hat’s team now work directly on Mutter.

So who is gonna fo the half year worth of release engineering and another 5 years of maintenance?

Not Red Hat.
        Not Canonical.
        Not SUSE.
        Not Debian.
        Not GNOME.
        Well, as long as they backport all the XWayland work to 1.20.x i couldn't care less, since i am using Wayland daily now. BUT, if they don't, they need to release a 1.21 version so we can get all the XWayland goodies. XWayland is still very important and will continue to be in the foreseeable future, so they still need to maintain it.

Comment

man 5 sway
          No amount of reading the man pages will fix the fact that a feature is missing and yet the codebase is far too heavy for a light window manager. Especially from section 5. Perhaps you meant to point me towards section 3 so I can modify the code base myself? XD
          (they wouldn't accept the patch because the typical i3 / Sway user needs titlebars when there is more than one window haha)

That bug report is from i3, what does it have to do with sway?
          As for your question, I am hoping you know that Sway is a clone of I3. i3 bug reports govern the direction of sway (because sway is a clone so has the same limitations).
          In particular, i3 has a bigger user base (because it is X11 based) so interestingly you get better responses and solutions from their bug reports.

But here is the same "bug" for sway: https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1286 and https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/5050

The solution so far is to munge the font to 0 pixels in size and just "make do with the slight thicker border on the top". Naff.

Not elegant, no thanks. There are better tilers... (but not for wayland)
          Last edited by kpedersen; 30 March 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

The man page above contains information on how to turn off tabs completely.

Anyway. Feel free to not use wayland or ask your "better tiler" for a wayland implementation. Or write your own clone based on wlroots.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              There’s no need for 1.21.0
              Xwayland fixes can go into 1.20.x
              X.org is more than XWayland and there are certainly more benefits to releasing 1.21 than XWayland fixes (RTFA).
              But then you already knew that, and as usual, you think no one's use cases and preferences except yours matter. But, by all means, keep on shilling. Apparently, Michael loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Then some other people need to come and maintain it then.
                Thanks, I didn't know Xorg is so smart that it keeps itself updated without any human ... hands.

Comment

Weren't we promised some news this year on open source support by nvidia?
                  It was never clear whether there would be any announcement of real actual support (although some people got their fantasies started), or perhaps just better toleration on the signed firmware front, but had GTC happened the session would have been interesting. For now we are back to waiting for information (as last I checked the virtual GTC sessions did not appear to include that talk).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

It was never clear whether there would be any announcement of real actual support (although some people got their fantasies started), or perhaps just better toleration on the signed firmware front, but had GTC happened the session would have been interesting. For now we are back to waiting for information (as last I checked the virtual GTC sessions did not appear to include that talk).
                    There was a presentation from last year I think that explained using the open source drivers (including GBM) with Tegra chip, which gave a good indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                      display servers are hard. look at wayland, almost 11 years and hasn't replaced xorg yet. and wayland has a lot of development behind it. along with millions poured into it by companies like red hat. if you're going to fork you need a massive movement to follow. like when xfree86 got forked to xorg. nearly all the development team behind xfree went to xorg. there's just no reason to fork xorg atm. especially when a sizable chunk of the community has a hate hard-on for xorg.
                      But Arcan has has reached feature-parity with X.org and Arcan has been in development for a relatively short time now, so it can't be that hard.
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 30 March 2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X