Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20.8 Released With No Sign Of GLAMOR/XWayland-Improved X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Actually, why isn't there a libX11 project started for the Wayland platform yet? It would basically act as a compositor like wlroots and could even provide the infrastructure necessary for xrandr, x11vnc, etc. I am very surprised I cannot find one... XWayland is not quite the same thing. That allows for the *actual* libX11. A more native approach would be direct translations of most of the protocol info.
    There's libweston, but I think wlroots will probably remain more popular.

Comment

wlroots sees actual live usage by people and is pretty polished. The downside is no nvidia proprietary driver support - I can understand the argument against, but the truth is a lot of people out there use nvidia.

Weren't we promised some news this year on open source support by nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
        wlroots sees actual live usage by people and is pretty polished. The downside is no nvidia proprietary driver support - I can understand the argument against, but the truth is a lot of people out there use nvidia.

Weren't we promised some news this year on open source support by nvidia?
        There's no "argument agaisnt". Nvidia does not support the Wayland compositors properly.

GTC got cancelled.
        Last edited by Britoid; 03-30-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Good to see another bug fix release. Seems like 1.20.8 doesn't show graphical glitches anymore when launching Vulkan/OpenGL apps/games on XWayland, nice!!!

But please, go ahead and release xorg 1.21. This is holding back some important features for XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland is just a protocol fyi.

and Wayland-compatible display servers largely has replaced Xorg, Debian, RHEL, Fedora, SUSE all default to Wayland on GNOME. The amount that's required to implement an X Server is much greater than a Wayland compositor. X you have to maintain decades of crappy protocols and drawing APIs.
            That's because Gnome works(?) only with wayland. Xorg is the default program.

Comment

Sway is far from shitty.
              To its defense, because it is based on i3 it is kinda "babies first tiler". It is very heavy for what it is and has too much "GUI".
              For example you have "tabbed" or "stacking" modes but both always display titlebars if there are multiple windows. Wasteful and silly. This is one example of a bug report (https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3617)

It is too aimed at beginners to the "tiling world" basically.

And with Wayland this kinda stuff is all you got because it is too much work to fork and maintain the equivalent of an entire top half of Xorg so I guess you just gotta make do .
              Last edited by kpedersen; 03-30-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

To its defense, because it is based on i3 it is kinda "babies first tiler". It is very heavy for what it is and has too much "GUI".
                For example you have "tabbed" or "stacking" modes but both always display titlebars if there are multiple windows. Wasteful and silly.
                man 5 sway

This is one example of a bug report (https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3617)
                That bug report is from i3, what does it have to do with sway?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  TemplarGR Most of Red Hat’s team now work directly on Mutter.

So who is gonna fo the half year worth of release engineering and another 5 years of maintenance?

Not Red Hat.
                  Not Canonical.
                  Not SUSE.
                  Not Debian.
                  Not GNOME.
                  Well, as long as they backport all the XWayland work to 1.20.x i couldn't care less, since i am using Wayland daily now. BUT, if they don't, they need to release a 1.21 version so we can get all the XWayland goodies. XWayland is still very important and will continue to be in the foreseeable future, so they still need to maintain it.

Comment

man 5 sway
                    No amount of reading the man pages will fix the fact that a feature is missing and yet the codebase is far too heavy for a light window manager. Especially from section 5. Perhaps you meant to point me towards section 3 so I can modify the code base myself? XD
                    (they wouldn't accept the patch because the typical i3 / Sway user needs titlebars when there is more than one window haha)

That bug report is from i3, what does it have to do with sway?
                    As for your question, I am hoping you know that Sway is a clone of I3. i3 bug reports govern the direction of sway (because sway is a clone so has the same limitations).
                    In particular, i3 has a bigger user base (because it is X11 based) so interestingly you get better responses and solutions from their bug reports.

But here is the same "bug" for sway: https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1286 and https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/5050

The solution so far is to munge the font to 0 pixels in size and just "make do with the slight thicker border on the top". Naff.

Not elegant, no thanks. There are better tilers... (but not for wayland)
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

The man page above contains information on how to turn off tabs completely.

Anyway. Feel free to not use wayland or ask your "better tiler" for a wayland implementation. Or write your own clone based on wlroots.

Comment

Working...
                      X