Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20.8 Released With No Sign Of GLAMOR/XWayland-Improved X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pieman
    well that's because newer versions of gnome defaults to wayland on anything that has KMS enabled. even with nvidia if the user enables nvidia KMS via kernel line with "nvidia-drm.modeset=1". wayland by default is a gnome thing as gnome is on the wayland bandwagon. yes, some distros prior to gnome defaulting to wayland like fedora adopted wayland by default, to manually start xorg session gnome you have to do something like the following:

anyways that doesn't invalidate anything i wrote as the fact of the matter wayland ANYTHING has yet to replace xorg. fully. and if you're a nvidia user, its going to be a very long time. and there are a whole bunch of nvidia users on linux. just like a whole bunch of AMD / Intel users not using wayland as well.
    GDM ships with a udev rule that disables Wayland if the proprietary driver is detected regardless if you enable Nvidia KMS or not. You can find this in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules

There's not a lot that can be done to help Nvidia users (I myself am one), Nvidia unfortunately prevent anything being done there.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      There’s no need for 1.21.0

Xwayland fixes can go into 1.20.x
      Fixes yes, but not new features. There are a few nice things in 1.21 that won't be backported, e.g. better flicker free (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/316). And yet to be done is fractional scaling support in Xwayland (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/111).

Comment

pieman No one seek to replace xorg. Wayland is a minimal protocol. You are most likely asking for a wayland compositor with similar features as an xorg based desktop. You got that. Mutter.

Comment

People will never understand simple things like "Wayland is just a protocol", even 10+ years after its introduction. LOL.

Seriously though, Xorg compositors and Wayland compositors aren't really that much different. All the Wayland protocol does is removing the middleman, Xorg, between KMS and the Compositor. The main reason it took so much time was because people kept clinging on their X. But after the aggressive push of Wayland it has become much better these last years.

Still, how hard it would be for someone from the Xorg team to just show up and organize a 1.21 Xserver release? I mean, it is not rocket science, the code is already there, just declare a code freeze date and an RC program. I mean there are still people in the Xorg team, right? After all, who is doing the point releases? Just do a biggie to bring us the rest of the features for 2nd half of 2020 distros. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            All the Wayland protocol does is removing the middleman, Xorg, between KMS and the Compositor.
            Wayland as an API removes X being in the middle between the client and the compositor (which is why client/server-side decoration under Wayland is a heated topic). The fact that Wayland compositors directly talk KMS is an added bonus though.

Comment

TemplarGR Most of Red Hat’s team now work directly on Mutter.

So who is gonna fo the half year worth of release engineering and another 5 years of maintenance?

Not Red Hat.
              Not Canonical.
              Not SUSE.
              Not Debian.
              Not GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Nvidia unfortunately prevent anything being done there.
                Fuck those dickheads. Kernel developers should make their miserable lives even harder. To the point nobody buys this shit on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Fuck those dickheads. Kernel developers should make their miserable lives even harder. To the point nobody buys this shit on Linux.
                  If I was the Linux developers, I'd mark many more symbols as GPL-only. I consider every module of the Linux kernel to be a derivative of it's code.

I think there's also some work going on with module level KASLR or something that's going to break third party modules more.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    People will never understand simple things like "Wayland is just a protocol", even 10+ years after its introduction. LOL.
                    So is X11. It is just a protocol. So when people refer to the implementation they refer to Xorg.

When you refer to the implementation of Wayland, you refer to... ? Sway, Mutter, Weston.

Granted, Wayland only has a few little window manager projects and will never have the number that X11 does because they are too large to maintain but I am pretty sure everyone by now understands when they refer to Wayland, it is simply the umbrella term of a limited number of window managers.

Once a libX11 abstraction library has been developed for it, then we will probably simply call Wayland "X11" again

Offtopic:
                    Actually, why isn't there a libX11 project started for the Wayland platform yet? It would basically act as a compositor like wlroots and could even provide the infrastructure necessary for xrandr, x11vnc, etc. I am very surprised I cannot find one... XWayland is not quite the same thing. That allows for the *actual* libX11. A more native approach would be direct translations of most of the protocol info. I guess we will just need to wait until Wayland becomes more mature (or simply disappears).
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 03-30-2020, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Sway is far from shitty.

Comment

Working...
                      X