No announcement yet.

Intel On Rebuilding The X.Org Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one's forcing you to use flash. I just find it funny that you don't want to use it even though the rest of the world does. It works. It's easy to install. It's better than having to download videos manually. You just click and view. I would be not happy if the primary way Michael chooses to link to videos were NOT flash.

Additional links are always good, I agree. But your reasons of not using flash are laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      No one's forcing you to use flash.
      I only quote this piece of your message because the rest is entirely irrelevant.

If he wishes to watch the video, then he has to use flash. From basic logic, see if you can figure out where I'm going.

Comment

No one's forcing him to watch the video either

Comment

What's bad about resampling?
          It's not a lossless transformation. I didn't spend 350$ on speakers just to feed them distorted signals. I admit I would probably be hard-pressed to tell the difference in a blind listening test, but I'm a perfectionist, so it offends me when my computer does something stupid.

I have a digital audio output on my PC, so the DAC in my speaker system (Logitech Z-5500, which I highly recommend) will see the 44.1KHz PCM data direct from the FLAC decode, or mp3 or whatever, if I send it out the alsa "hw" pcm device.

wikipedia has an article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_rate_conversion, but it doesn't go into detail about the kinds of distortion. It does make it clear that there is some distortion, though.

Anyway, FWIW, OSS 4 here offers a vmix option to do 44.1kHz instead of 48.
          Good to know.
          Last edited by Peter_Cordes; 10 February 2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC
            No one's forcing you to use flash. I just find it funny that you don't want to use it even though the rest of the world does. It works. It's easy to install. It's better than having to download videos manually.
            Not for the second one, which requires some audio filtering to make it easier on the ears to skip past the disconnected-mic noisy bits.

You just click and view. I would be not happy if the primary way Michael chooses to link to videos were NOT flash.

Additional links are always good, I agree. But your reasons of not using flash are laughable.
            Non-flash video doesn't require a download-then-play setup. There are moz plugins for mplayer, vlc, and gstreamer. Then you can use a decent codec like h.264. Which could probably compress the hell out of a static scene like these vids with much less fuzz far from a keyframe. (anyone else notice the text on the blackboard drifting into unreadable fuzz a while after a keyframe?) Or you could use ogg(theora+vorbis), and it would play with software that could be included by any GNU/Linux distro as part of the default install without legal worries.

Flash (adobe's implementation) is not very good compared to e.g. mplayer. It doesn't use HW acceleration to scale video to fullscreen, so if you have anything slower than a core2, it will be all jerky if you fullscreen. Even on a core2, it uses tons of CPU. If you embed a normal video file, and someone wants to download a copy, oh look, they already have a copy in /tmp. Plus, Adobe's flash plugin only goes fullscreen if the flash applet has a button for it. And with youtube, it opens a new popup window, and seems to re-download the video or something stupid. mplayer's browser plugin just goes fullscreen with Xv like standalone mplayer. (the plugin really just runs mplayer with -wid <window ID> or something, so it's normal mplayer rendering into a window.)

I admit flash does some things pretty well, but it's not the best solution for everything. BTW, fellow flash-dislikers, there is a FF extension that helps: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/. Then the flash plugin doesn't even run unless you click on the flash icon in the rectangle where it would appear. So no more flash adds screwing up your browser. I still just disable flash entirely in Firefox, and run Seamonkey when I find something in flash that I actually want to look at. It's pretty easy to drag&drop a link from the location bar. If you have plenty of RAM, it's nicer than having your main browser with all your tabs crash sometimes.
            Last edited by Peter_Cordes; 10 February 2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

It is also possible to change the resampling of dmix in Alsa and force it to 44.1KHz, without the need of the useless and deprecated Open Sound System.

So, the solution would be to put this in the asound.conf or asoundrc file.

Code:
              pcm.!default {
              type plug
              slave.pcm {
              type dmix
              ipc_key 1024
              slave {
              pcm ?hw:0,0″
              rate 44100
              }
              }
              }

ALSA should start working with this crap dmix to be able to have a good sound quality without complicated configurations, compared to windows... one day, maybe after the Linux graphics battle finish.

Wasn't Intel planning to make a GPU with dedicated video memory? Why they don't make a working GEM/TTM and EXA/UXA for every one, not only for one graphics company...

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                Wasn't Intel planning to make a GPU with dedicated video memory? Why they don't make a working GEM/TTM and EXA/UXA for every one, not only for one graphics company...
                Maybe because they don't have the hardware specs from others companies (and also because they are not paid to work directly for the competitor).
                Even if they work for themselves (like Nvidia), at least they are making free and open things, that others can use and/or adapt if they want.
                Last edited by spykes; 10 February 2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

No one's forcing you to use flash. I just find it funny that you don't want to use it even though the rest of the world does. It works. It's easy to install. It's better than having to download videos manually. You just click and view. I would be not happy if the primary way Michael chooses to link to videos were NOT flash.

Flash sucks. Get over it.

The reason the "rest of the world" uses it is just illustrates the piss-poor state of Windows default players, not how wonderful or useful flash is.

People tried for ages to embed quicktime or realplayer or windows media player bullshit into their browsers and that software is so shitty that most users rejected it outright.

Flash video players exist not because they are so good, but because WMP is so shitty.

In Linux we don't have this problem. VLC or Mplayer or Totem can handle playing videos just fine.

Flash is wonderful and useful if you like:
                  1. Having videos play using twice the CPU and twice the memory usage
                  2. You like having to re-download the same video over and over and over again each time you want to use it.
                  3. You like having long waits and really really really really shitty seek performance.

Hell I can't even figure out how to make this particular flash player seek at all. I guess I have no choice but to sit and watch the stupid thing all the way through and god forbid I want to close my browser.

Because I LOVE the fact that I have to run proprietary software that has shitty and buggy performance compared to the number of high quality and fast media players.

Anyways the quality of the video is extremely poor and you can't hear what the person is saying nor what is on the screen. Using mplayer I can make it somewhat bearable and control audio through filters and whatnot to make it hearable, but on this flash player it is impossible.

Let me see how critically difficult it is to play videos that I have to download.

Hrmm....

1. Click download link
                  wait
                  2. Video plays.

Your right. That is way too difficult.

Comment

It is also possible to change the resampling of dmix in Alsa and force it to 44.1KHz, without the need of the useless and deprecated Open Sound System.

Well it's the audio card driver to know what sound formats the cards can accept and then translate that into something that the card can receive without puking or having high cpu load.

So if people are having issues with wrong audio formats being sent to the card then this is a driver issue and if you don't want to deal with it in the future a good way is to file a bug report and hopefully it'll get fixed.

Comment

I'm using OSS 4, not the deprecated OSS inside the Linux kernel.

ALSA should start working with this crap dmix to be able to have a good sound quality without complicated configurations
                      Like OSS 4?
                      Last edited by RealNC; 10 February 2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X