No announcement yet.

Intel On Rebuilding The X.Org Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone forgot that Flash *is* an open standard now.

Comment

ignorant

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
      What, so nobody can see it unless they're using pre-release browsers?
      The web is powerfull. Indeed, on the same page you can have more than 1 way to see a video.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Someone forgot that Flash *is* an open standard now.
        Could you provide what that make you said that? Last time I check, only an old action script engine was GPLized.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
          Could you provide what that make you said that? Last time I check, only an old action script engine was GPLized.
          You don't need to GPL it for it to be an open standard. You're talking about code. You complained about the standard, not the implementation. Adobe's implementation of course isn't open. But it looks to me that the Flash standard is.

I'm talking about this one: http://www.openscreenproject.org/about/faq.html

I didn't delve too deep into it, but it seems it is possible to write your own Flash player based on the opened specifications.

Comment

The audio is completely broken on the second video. I hope theres a version where it isn't broken.

Comment

There's a 64-bit Flash now.
              Yeah, I think I heard about that. I still don't want it crashing my Firefox. I'll probably only get to it when Ubuntu's flashplugin-nonfree installs that, since nspluginwrapper works well enough.

ALSA offers dmix and OSS 4 (I use that) offers vmix. All apps, including Flash simply /dev/dsp here at the same time with no problems.
              I just said later in that paragraph that I don't like dmix, because it resamples to 48kHz even when only a single 44.1kHz stream is playing. And it doesn't work for 5.1 output. (If anything has the default dmix pcm open, then nothing can open the surround51 pcm). (Yes, I do have 5.1 speakers, Z-5500. The TOSLINK output is a separate ALSA pcm device, but when I need 5.1 analog output, e.g. for AAC, I need exclusive access to pcm0.0. Hmm, I wonder if one could write an alsa config that used 6 channel dmix to solve this problem? I wouldn't use it unless it also avoided resampling when only one thing was playing, though. That's my major complaint about dmix.)

Thanks for the reply, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasu View Post
                The audio is completely broken on the second video. I hope theres a version where it isn't broken.
                Only for part of the time. Including several minutes at the start...

download the mpeg and play it with something like
                Code:
                mplayer -softvol -softvol-max 1000 -volume 100 -af-adv force=5 -af volnorm=2,equalizer=-30:-25:-8:0:0 Phoronox-05intel926.mpg
                Boosting the volume with softvol increases the volume of Eric's voice up to near full-scale, but it doesn't make the clipped buzzing any louder because it was already clipped. -af equalizer is doing a bit of high-pass to remove some of the bass component of the clipping. But still turn off your subwoofer, if you have one.

Also, you'll probably need to reduce the softvol setting a bit to avoid clipping in Eric's voice ( / and * keys on the numpad). Since -softvol is enabled, you're adjusting the softvol amplification, not your ALSA mixer.

During the bits when the audio hookup was loose and buzzing, either skip by 15 second intervals (right arrow), or turn on fast-forward ( ] key, backspace to set speed=1.0).

The first part of the talk that's not interrupted for long enough to be worth listening to is at about 19.5 minutes in. (hit pageup twice, then left arrow twice. The o key cycles through on-screen clock settings.)

I didn't spend time looking for LADSPA filters that could do anything better with the clipping. Probably a notch filter at 60Hz or 120 (err this was Europe, so 50Hz or 100Hz probably) would do the trick.

So you can get some interesting bits of the talk, but I'm sure there are more interesting bits that didn't get recorded. This is the worst talk-video I've _ever_ seen. The speaker isn't even in-frame, and you can't see much of anything on the projector screen the camera is aimed at (same problem with the other video). But at least you could hear most of that one.

Comment

Where is the <video> html element

You don't need to GPL it for it to be an open standard. You're talking about code. You complained about the standard, not the implementation. Adobe's implementation of course isn't open. But it looks to me that the Flash standard is.

I'm talking about this one: http://www.openscreenproject.org/about/faq.html

I didn't delve too deep into it, but it seems it is possible to write your own Flash player based on the opened specifications.
                  I haven't known that.
                  Basically, this is another framework. It's huge (SWF/FLV/AMF/ActionScript). Adobe tries to create a parallel web. Very dangerous.
                  The cost of implementing of compliant "flash framework" is huge. Supporting the <video> html element is quite less work for a web browser.
                  Hopefully, the web masters from phoronix will understand that and support the use of the <video> html element (it's less work than embedding a flash player).

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                    I just said later in that paragraph that I don't like dmix, because it resamples to 48kHz even when only a single 44.1kHz stream is playing.
                    What's bad about resampling?

Anyway, FWIW, OSS 4 here offers a vmix option to do 44.1kHz instead of 48.

Comment

RealNC: I think most people here agree that flash is simply bad for the web. And if you have another opinion then this does not matter. No one should be forced to use a proprietary software. And Michael supports the use of non-free software here, because
                      1. he did not link to a real video file (would be most easily possible)
                      2. he did not choose a platform that is supported by gnash (e.g. youtube)
                      3. he did not say that the video service provides also the source video files.

I'd say there is much room for improvement and it does not matter if flash works or not, nor if it is an open standard (if no open source software implements this). The opinion of people who don't want to run software of which they cannot read the code must be accepted.

And most users of this page would be probably more happy about a video element, because if the browser does not support that the world does not go under.

Please stop defending flash. It is the decision of the user. No difference if flash works or not. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X