Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20.7 Released With A Handful Of Fixes For GLAMOR + Modesetting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org Server 1.20.7 Released With A Handful Of Fixes For GLAMOR + Modesetting

    Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20.7 Released With A Handful Of Fixes For GLAMOR + Modesetting

    With no sign of X.Org Server 1.21 on the horizon, the X.Org Server 1.20 point releases continue rolling on...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....20.7-Released

  • #2
    At least X.Org Server 1.20.7 is out in time for inclusion with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS while it looks like the xorg-server 1.21 will most certainly not make it into that release and who knows when that update with numerous GLAMOR/XWayland changes will actually be released given there's no current release manager.
    So hopefully by the 22.04 LTS then I guess? By that time one would hope Wayland to be in a decent state for migration from X11. That does reduce the pressure on nvidia though unless Wayland is pushed more heavily prior. Last I heard while there is nvidia support for Gnome and KDE/Plasma, they're both still not as pleasant as Intel/AMD graphics?

    1.21 has all the improvements for better VR on Linux doesn't?(no clue what it's like without xorg, but I remember 1-2 years ago work was being done to address VR support issues with xorg?)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by polarathene View Post

      So hopefully by the 22.04 LTS then I guess? By that time one would hope Wayland to be in a decent state for migration from X11. That does reduce the pressure on nvidia though unless Wayland is pushed more heavily prior. Last I heard while there is nvidia support for Gnome and KDE/Plasma, they're both still not as pleasant as Intel/AMD graphics?

      1.21 has all the improvements for better VR on Linux doesn't?(no clue what it's like without xorg, but I remember 1-2 years ago work was being done to address VR support issues with xorg?)
      GNOME still disables Wayland on the Nvidia driver because it's generally buggy and XWayland hw acceleration doesn't work (no games).

      I imagine KDE has the same latter bug.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Britoid View Post

        GNOME still disables Wayland on the Nvidia driver because it's generally buggy and XWayland hw acceleration doesn't work (no games).

        I imagine KDE has the same latter bug.
        Ah yeah, the XWayland one I remember hearing of, if Wayland eventually does get to the point of not needing it(not sure how realistic that is regarding games, especially ones published already on Steam but don't receive anymore updates), then it may be less of an issue.

        Nvidia contributed the support for Wayland to both Gnome and KDE right?

        Was it just intended as a proof of concept, or a "Here's the basic functionality hooked up, you guys love open-source so can do the rest"? I don't know if anyone keeps a document on the status of either DE Wayland nvidia support and what is buggy/broken with it vs Intel/AMD.

        Is hybrid graphics possible at all like with X11? Most of the time the nvidia graphics is only needed to power specific apps or games and if they could just support that without DE/compositor specific stuff(handled by Intel iGPU instead), that'd be an improvement that most would be ok with I guess?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by polarathene View Post

          So hopefully by the 22.04 LTS then I guess? By that time one would hope Wayland to be in a decent state for migration from X11. That does reduce the pressure on nvidia though unless Wayland is pushed more heavily prior. Last I heard while there is nvidia support for Gnome and KDE/Plasma, they're both still not as pleasant as Intel/AMD graphics?
          As usual, you'll get HWE backports from 20.10+ included in the point-release images by default, and only apt install away in the archive, so even if xserver 20.x misses this boat, you'll most likely get it in a point release later on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does this include the bits needed for NVidia Optimus render offload?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by petete View Post
              Does this include the bits needed for NVidia Optimus render offload?
              it is already in ubuntu since 19.04

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by polarathene View Post

                So hopefully by the 22.04 LTS then I guess? By that time one would hope Wayland to be in a decent state for migration from X11. That does reduce the pressure on nvidia though unless Wayland is pushed more heavily prior. Last I heard while there is nvidia support for Gnome and KDE/Plasma, they're both still not as pleasant as Intel/AMD graphics?

                1.21 has all the improvements for better VR on Linux doesn't?(no clue what it's like without xorg, but I remember 1-2 years ago work was being done to address VR support issues with xorg?)
                We need to move away from this 'LTS' line of thinking. LTS means little in the context of support of a free operating system, and it definitely doesn't suggest any sort of stability. Quite the opposite is usually true, as stability, bug fixes, and hardware support come from upgrading the Kernel and drivers. LTS releases are simply a point in time snapshot. While there may be smaller updates, they will rarely improve any of the aforementioned items.

                One other thing: If you think NVIDIA is the least bit pressured by Ubuntu, you are wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                  GNOME still disables Wayland on the Nvidia driver because it's generally buggy and XWayland hw acceleration doesn't work (no games).

                  I imagine KDE has the same latter bug.
                  The KDE situation is equally as bad. Due to XWayland, pretty much all GPU operations are via llvmpipe. This means no GPU acceleration at all for NVIDIA users. It is not currently possible to use KDE or GNOME under Wayland without XWayland.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by betam4x View Post

                    We need to move away from this 'LTS' line of thinking. LTS means little in the context of support of a free operating system, and it definitely doesn't suggest any sort of stability. Quite the opposite is usually true, as stability, bug fixes, and hardware support come from upgrading the Kernel and drivers. LTS releases are simply a point in time snapshot. While there may be smaller updates, they will rarely improve any of the aforementioned items.

                    One other thing: If you think NVIDIA is the least bit pressured by Ubuntu, you are wrong.
                    For workstations working on long-term projects and various servers, LTS does make sense because a feature update could completely screw a company or person's workflow or you could be using BTRFS and the updated kernel isn't quite happy with your file system configuration so goodbye data. That's because stability in a lot of LTS's means that the platform won't have any drastic changes and is, therefore, stable; not stability as in bugs are less likely to occur so our platform is, therefore, stable.

                    That's why, IMHO and for the most part, LTS is long-term stale and not long-term stability. All one has to do is look at random Steam bug reports to find all the examples they'd need that LTS isn't good for the average desktop user or new Linux user. The amount of LTS distribution users that have bugs and the non-LTS users going XYZ fixed that 6 months or a year ago is, honestly, hilarious.

                    ....unless we're talking about projects like KDE Plasma or the Linux kernel that have both LTS and Mainline releases. In cases like that we're actually getting a long-term supported project and not SUSE or Ubuntu or *insert distribution here's* rendition of an LTS project. I've seen both Ubuntu and SUSE feature freeze at utterly retarded times like not waiting a few more days and using a Linux LTS release for their LTS distribution....nope, we're gonna stick with the kernel release right before the LTS release and backport a bunch of shit because that makes a lot of fucking sense.

                    I don't use Nvidia. Fuck Nvidia.

                    AMD FTW

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X