No announcement yet.

X.Org Saw A Lot Of Work In The 2010s Even With Wayland Taking Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mostly used my AMD 2400G APU/8GB memory HTPC system connected with hdmi to LG's 4k tv. My linux distro is Mageia 7 with
    - gnome-3.32
    - kernel-5.4.6
    - mesa-19.3

But when I tested some Feral's port of Linux games from Steam, some worked ok on Gnome over Wayland on full screen with Gnome configured to use 4096x2160 while some other games crashed when running on full screen mode (propably something runs of some memory and game fails to handle that without crashing) unless I configure the Gnome's internal resolution lower to 1920x1080.

When I lowered the gnome display resolution from 4096x2160 to lower settings, the wayland implementation of gnome however fails to show on my LG TV. (TV shows just black sceen error from invalid data) but when I login to X11 implementation of Gnome configured to this lower 1920x1080 resolution, Gnome works just fine on with this same TV with this lower resolution. Also the games that Feral's crashed on 4k gnome resolution works now without problem.

Here are the games I tested

1) Feral's F1 2017 works both on Gnome 4k configuration mode with Wayland and lower 1920x1080 mode on X11. I have configured the game resolution in game itself to 1200x720 to get well playable frame rates on my 2400g system.

2) Feral's newer games "Dirt 4" on same setup crashes to sigfault 11 with same setup immediately after going from configuration screen to play if tried on Gnome 4k/wayland mode. Lowering Gnome resolution to 1920x1080 solved the problem on Gnome X11.

3) "life is strange 2" goes little further but will also crash after couple of minutes on Gnome 4k/wayland mode. Lowering Gnome resolution to 1920x1080 solved the problem on Gnome X11.

Another problem I have noticed on Gnome 3.32 wayland implementation compared to X11 is that the display width changes a little bit after display is invoked from the sleep. (about 50-100 pixel lost from width) That problem does not show on X11 gnome display. Maybe these problems are solved on newer gnome 3.34/3.36 but I have had time to test that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Has game input lag been addressed with Wayland?
      Wayland doesn't have much to do with input lag and is just a protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
        I'm still waiting for middle-click paste selection support on Wayland...
        Working for me on Gnome...

Comment

Synaptic and Synapse don't work with Wayland. Synaptic probably never will and Synapse hasn't seen much work lately.
          Dealbreakers for me. They're critical parts of my leisureflow. I could replace Synapse with ulauncher but there's no equivalent to Synaptic.

Which means I'm not anywhere near using wayland. Hence I'm glad X is still being developed and maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Synaptic and Synapse don't work with Wayland. Synaptic probably never will [...]
            Synaptic works fine with current GNOME Wayland (running X11 apps via sudo was fixed in GNOME 3.34 if not earlier).

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Synaptic and Synapse don't work with Wayland. Synaptic probably never will and Synapse hasn't seen much work lately.
              Dealbreakers for me. They're critical parts of my leisureflow. I could replace Synapse with ulauncher but there's no equivalent to Synaptic.

Which means I'm not anywhere near using wayland. Hence I'm glad X is still being developed and maintained.
              Wayland compositors use libinput which provides functionality for synaptic trackpads.

The X.org maintainers have expressed now that RHEL is defaulting to Wayland to expect X.org to eventually go into hard maintenance mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland doesn't have much to do with input lag and is just a protocol.
                Talking out of my rear here because I don't know how Wayland works, but a protocol can definitely introduce lag if it's too chatty. I've seen this first hand (in-house protocol, in case anyone is wondering).

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland compositors use libinput which provides functionality for synaptic trackpads.

The X.org maintainers have expressed now that RHEL is defaulting to Wayland to expect X.org to eventually go into hard maintenance mode.
                  Not sure we're talking about the same things. :-)
                  I was talking about the synaptic GUI originally from debian to add repositories and install packages (in debian, Ubuntu and derivatives). The equivalent of Pamac on Manjaro.
                  MrCooper has provided me with some update on the matter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Talking out of my rear here because I don't know how Wayland works, but a protocol can definitely introduce lag if it's too chatty. I've seen this first hand (in-house protocol, in case anyone is wondering).
                    The wayland protocol doesn't have any chattyness, though - it just takes rendered frames to display, nothing else.

However, all wayland compositors AFAIK use libinput so it's possible that something in there is slow. Or the compositors themselves could be slow, for various reasons - it's just that those would be problems with the compositor/implementation, not the protocol. They didn't have to deal with input as much under X so everyone is still adjusting to the new way of doing things.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 04 January 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X