Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChamferWM Still Appears To Be The Most Capable Vulkan-Powered X11 Tiling Window Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxie View Post

Everyone is best at something if you are specific enough.
    I hadn't heard of that saying before. I like!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Define "feature complete" in the context of compositor?
      Well, an standardized way to do screen recording for one.

libweston doesn't support it as far as I know, mutter uses pipewire and wlroots uses pipewire but the major screen recording applications like OBS still don't support it.

Note: This is still a work-in-progress change. It does work reliably, but the code quality is yet to become mergeable to upstream. There are two reasons for opening this pull request now: visibilit...

Personally I use wayland as a daily driver, but it's really lame that i have to change WM when I want to do screen recording...

Comment

Screen recording is pretty trivial as it's usually under "opensource's control" if you will. It's screen sharing that's a problem, as the most popular platforms (zoom, skype etc) are all closed source and linux market share is too small to care beyond a token effort that could take months. So they already have X11 compatible screensharing because they've had it for years. It will take time for the apps to catch up to a wayland world.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Hey, at least my fedoragnome account was funny. Who are you an alt of?
          144hz aka GhostOfFunk aka Mentalist aka GNOME Fanboi

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post
            You might not like Mir, wlroots, libweston or other options. But they exist.
            And thanks to you and the Mir team, Mir will be an excellent option for Mate, Unity8, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

libweston doesn't support it as far as I know, mutter uses pipewire and wlroots uses pipewire but the major screen recording applications like OBS still don't support it.

Note: This is still a work-in-progress change. It does work reliably, but the code quality is yet to become mergeable to upstream. There are two reasons for opening this pull request now: visibilit...

Personally I use wayland as a daily driver, but it's really lame that i have to change WM when I want to do screen recording...
              OBS under Wayland should work now, you may need the Flathub package though.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME.
                GNOME is not a compositor. Do you mean Mutter?

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

So because OBS fails to support it, means the *compositor* is the problem here? That's like saying "Mercedes doesn't support this, so it's Toyota's fault".

Comment

If ChamferWM would support Wayland, I would test it immediately as I want a Vulkan compositor :-) But X11 only, no thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GNOME is not a compositor. Do you mean Mutter?
                      I guess it depends on your terminology.

The GNOME Shell itself when running is the compositor, even if the compositor code is in Mutter.

Comment

Working...
                      X