Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtIO-GPU Working Towards Vulkan Support, Other Features For Graphics In VMs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VirtIO-GPU Working Towards Vulkan Support, Other Features For Graphics In VMs

    Phoronix: VirtIO-GPU Working Towards Vulkan Support, Other Features For Graphics In VMs

    As we've known for a long time, VirtIO-GPU / Virgl Vulkan support to allow accelerated Vulkan within virtual machines is in the works but still has a long road ahead. A number of other VirtIO-GPU features are also in the works or at least planning stages...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulkan-Planning

  • #2
    This would be pretty cool if it eventually allows a Windows guest to use a DXVK-based driver to get DirectX acceleration.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for taking the time to write about it Gerd!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        This would be pretty cool if it eventually allows a Windows guest to use a DXVK-based driver to get DirectX acceleration.
        I agree. It'd be an easier option than depending on GPU passthrough.

        Comment


        • #5
          With the evolution of wine, running Windows software in a VM becomes less and less relevant. With the fast evolution of Linux containers, running a VM at all becomes less necessary. Nowadays it's hard to find a use case for this. It's coming almost too late.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I agree. It'd be an easier option than depending on GPU passthrough.
            It should also be more secure, I imagine, since you avoid potential DMA-style attacks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
              With the evolution of wine, running Windows software in a VM becomes less and less relevant. With the fast evolution of Linux containers, running a VM at all becomes less necessary. Nowadays it's hard to find a use case for this. It's coming almost too late.
              No offense, but speak for yourself please.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

                No offense, but speak for yourself please.
                None taken. Of course I only speak for myself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  No offense
                  lol since when have you ever cared about not offending someone?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    lol since when have you ever cared about not offending someone?
                    I'm mercurial and unpredictable. Fear me, mortal.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X