Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenChrome Still Aspiring For Open-Source VIA Graphics, But Not Going Mainline This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenChrome Still Aspiring For Open-Source VIA Graphics, But Not Going Mainline This Year

Phoronix: OpenChrome Still Aspiring For Open-Source VIA Graphics, But Not Going Mainline This Year

At the X.Org Developers Conference earlier this month Kevin Brace provided an update on the state of the OpenChrome project that he continues to single handedly push forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm impressed he's not giving up and still doing service to chips few of the big players care about. Totally underestimated work. And it was always one of the (many) reasons for Linux (or BSD) that there still is support for aging hardware. As long as it isn't a P4 style power-waster that stuff can still be put to good use. (Also think of developing countries.) Thus also less electronic waste is produced.
    I shall donate some money to him.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      I'm impressed he's not giving up and still doing service to chips few of the big players care about. Totally underestimated work. And it was always one of the (many) reasons for Linux (or BSD) that there still is support for aging hardware. As long as it isn't a P4 style power-waster that stuff can still be put to good use. (Also think of developing countries.) Thus also less electronic waste is produced.
      Bulk of VIA hardware with that graphics is either P4 chipsets (that should die for a list of reasons) or completely bullshit weak "thin client" or embedded boards that struggled to do anything even with XP and proprietary drivers (weak CPU, graphics not relevant).

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        VIA should donate money. Even better should donate documentation and source code to Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
          VIA should donate money. Even better should donate documentation and source code to Mesa.
          Why though. That's old crap they don't produce anymore since decades ago.

It would make sense for them to provide some form of support for their current lineup, where they pair ARM CPUs with their own graphics hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Why though. That's old crap they don't produce anymore since decades ago.

It would make sense for them to provide some form of support for their current lineup, where they pair ARM CPUs with their own graphics hardware.
            Wondermedia chips used mali m200 and mali m400, and are 2010-2013 era hardware, and not at all current.

The current VIA hardware is just devices/boards built around the qualcomm APQ8096SG SoC, little more.

VIA is not a chip maker any more. Even their once ubiquitous audio, networking and usb->sata chips are now deemed legacy even on their own website.

VIA is dead.

-- The guy who came up with modesetting when he was rewriting the VIA Unichrome driver more than 15ys ago.

Comment

Working...
            X