No announcement yet.

X.Org Server To See New CI-Driven Automated Release Cycles, Big Version Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server To See New CI-Driven Automated Release Cycles, Big Version Numbers

Phoronix: X.Org Server To See New CI-Driven Automated Release Cycles, Big Version Numbers

There hasn't been a major release of the X.Org Server now in 17 months... Not because there haven't been any changes (in fact, a lot of GLAMOR and XWayland work among other fixing) but because no one has stepped up as release manager to get the next version out the door. But to workaround that, developers are looking at moving the X.Org Server to purely time-based releases and letting their continuous integration testing be the deciding factor on if a release is ready to ship...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CI != QA/QC.

I'm not a fan of this idea.

Comment

I guess this makes sense, X.org is heading for EOL anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        CI != QA/QC.

I'm not a fan of this idea.
        Huh? CI is not a panacea for anything, but it can make quality control a whole lot easier and more reliable, as it cuts out a large fraction of the human factor. A lot of testing can be automated, so that less manual testing is required. And that's exactly what Adam Jackson is proposing here. I'm a big fan of that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          CI is the second best option now that no one wants to do proper maintenance anymore.
          Wayland is the future. Each compositor to its own.
          Even with wayland coming up as main display driver, X11 would take another decade or more to die out.
          Not everything runs linux, but does use X11. So I hope Xwayland will work well.
          X11 is pretty stable and completely fleshed out as a protocol, wayland is still a moving target, but good enough to replace the simple framebuffer driver on most SoC's with a much better one.

Comment

Maybe code can be removed? Maybe the code base for X.Org can be reduced?
            Or a build flag to build a minimal X.Org Server with only the bare minimum functionality needed for XWayland to work.

Comment

The most important thing is that we get releaes again.

Comment

This sounds really good. One of the most important things that still receives new features is XWayland (start-on-demand, modesetting emulation, fractional scaling support), so having a similar release schedule as the compositors is very helpful.

Comment

I'm waiting for next release for official nVidia PRIME support.

Comment

A new release of XWayland is overdue, there are several important bug fixes and improvements outstanding due to the non existent X.org releases :-(

Comment

Working...
                    X