Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"LIBOUTPUT" Proposed As New Library For Helping To Bring Up New Compositors & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "LIBOUTPUT" Proposed As New Library For Helping To Bring Up New Compositors & More

Phoronix: "LIBOUTPUT" Proposed As New Library For Helping To Bring Up New Compositors & More

Coming out of informal discussions from this week's X.Org Developers Conference in Montreal, a "liboutput" library has been proposed as a theoretical new library for helping to bring up Wayland compositors, X11 window managers, and anything else wanting to interface with DRM/KMS kernel interfaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We already have libweston, wlroots and Mir.

Comment

Honestly, everyone is just waiting for a libX11 API layer to be built on top of Wayland. Then people can stop faffing around and get back to some real work XD.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Honestly, everyone is just waiting for a libX11 API layer to be built on top of Wayland. Then people can stop faffing around and get back to some real work XD.
        That is more or less XWayland...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          There would be proper support for multiple plans, making use of the KMS leasing infrastructure, projective transforms, multiple output handling, atomic presentations, and other bits.
          Or planes?

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post

That is more or less XWayland...
            Yes, I suppose that is true

And whats great about this "innovative design" is that when Wayland has become deprecated, we can have a simple XNextbestthing implemented to replace XWayland and all of the great libX11 software can still function

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I think this is more generic than that. I wanted to write a direct DRM/KMS application a couple months ago and it was daunting.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I do not understand these libraries well enough to know exactly how this relates. I think libweston, wlroots and this are somehow similar, while Mir is a compositor that could (theoretically) be rebased to rely on one or more of these libraries. But what roles do these things fill precisely, and what is the supposed value-added of liboutput?

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

I do not understand these libraries well enough to know exactly how this relates. I think libweston, wlroots and this are somehow similar, while Mir is a compositor that could (theoretically) be rebased to rely on one or more of these libraries. But what roles do these things fill precisely, and what is the supposed value-added of liboutput?
                  Mir has MirAL, which is very similar to libweston and wlroots in the sense that it can be used to aid in the making of compositors.

Comment

Oh, this looks like it is takes some inspiration from libliftoff that was discussed during XDC just a few days ago. It also looks like it also tries to integrate some of the wlroots backend bits.

The X.Org Developer's Conference 2019 is the event for developers working on all things Open graphics (Linux kernel, Mesa, DRM, Wayland, X11, etc.).

Lightweight KMS plane library. Contribute to emersion/libliftoff development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                    X