Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post
    Proxmox does support running Virtio-GPU for a VM and then accessing that display via the web interface as noVNC HTML5. Pretty sure there's no X involved on the host then, but I haven't tested if any form of acceleration is available that way.
    Proxmox...

​​​​​​​I was talking about QEMU.

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
    Typo:
    I said slayerizer!

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by PFee View Post
    It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?
    I'll offer an unpopular opinion. Using virt-manager is way harder than using qemu directly. Editing virsh or virt-manager is mostly harder than editing direct qemu command. I just save the commands in script files and launch those. I don't know why people use virsh.

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Originally posted by PFee View Post
    Great to see virt-manager now makes it easy to enable 3D acceleration for Linux guests via virgl. However since only Linux guests have virgl drivers, 3D acceleration for Windows guests requires GPU passthrough.

It's a shame the blog post doesn't mention options such as Intel GVT. It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?
    Maybe this? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...#Using_libvirt

Leave a comment:

• PFee
    replied
    Great to see virt-manager now makes it easy to enable 3D acceleration for Linux guests via virgl. However since only Linux guests have virgl drivers, 3D acceleration for Windows guests requires GPU passthrough.

It's a shame the blog post doesn't mention options such as Intel GVT. It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Speaking of typos, the blog begins with "There are alot..."
    *Bangs head*
    As a grammatically conscientious person who frequents internet forums and YouTube, I have found it necessary to develop a few coping mechani...
    Last edited by pkunk; 30 September 2019, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Speaking of typos, the blog begins with "There are alot..."
    *Bangs head*

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    I was using QXL for windows, and got quite some comments below the video that people where impressed by the performance, two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).
    Never tried system session, but on user session it work pretty fine for me.
    Edit: Also I use Q35 and PCIe if it makes any difference.
    Last edited by pkunk; 30 September 2019, 05:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by pkunk View Post

Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.
    Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post
    I assume there's still no way of getting virgl set up in virt-manager?
    Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X