Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of typos, the blog begins with "There are alot..."
    *Bangs head*

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Speaking of typos, the blog begins with "There are alot..."
      *Bangs head*
      As a grammatically conscientious person who frequents internet forums and YouTube, I have found it necessary to develop a few coping mechani...
      Last edited by pkunk; 30 September 2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Great to see virt-manager now makes it easy to enable 3D acceleration for Linux guests via virgl. However since only Linux guests have virgl drivers, 3D acceleration for Windows guests requires GPU passthrough.

It's a shame the blog post doesn't mention options such as Intel GVT. It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?

Comment

Originally posted by PFee View Post
          Great to see virt-manager now makes it easy to enable 3D acceleration for Linux guests via virgl. However since only Linux guests have virgl drivers, 3D acceleration for Windows guests requires GPU passthrough.

It's a shame the blog post doesn't mention options such as Intel GVT. It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?
          Maybe this? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...#Using_libvirt

Comment

Originally posted by PFee View Post
            It appears that GVT works when launching qemu directly, but support via libvirt, virsh and virt-manager doesn't exist yet. Anyone aware of work towards enabling GVT via virt-manager?
            I'll offer an unpopular opinion. Using virt-manager is way harder than using qemu directly. Editing virsh or virt-manager is mostly harder than editing direct qemu command. I just save the commands in script files and launch those. I don't know why people use virsh.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
              Proxmox does support running Virtio-GPU for a VM and then accessing that display via the web interface as noVNC HTML5. Pretty sure there's no X involved on the host then, but I haven't tested if any form of acceleration is available that way.
              Proxmox...

​​​​​​​I was talking about QEMU.

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
              Typo:
              I said slayerizer!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                I was using QXL for windows, and got quite some comments below the video that people where impressed by the performance
                When I first learned about the QXL option, I thought it offered some sort of video acceleration (like VirGL) or even 60Hz, but no, it didn't... (not even through a SPICE viewer)

Comment

Ha Ha Ha. Oh, of course, the problem is with me, and not the people who butcher grammar..

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Proxmox...

​​​​​​​I was talking about QEMU.
                    Well Proxmox's just a GUI for KVM/QEMU so it shouldn't be that hard to look at how they use it.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                      I was using QXL for windows, and got quite some comments below the video that people where impressed by the performance, two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA
                      In that video you don't use QXL, you use vga vmware???

Comment

Working...
                      X