Um..
    Eclipse
    Netbeans
    IntelliJ
    GoLand
    RubyMine
    PyCharm
    Mindcraft Classic
    Exactly. Java on the desktop is FAR from dead. I use PyCharm and many other, less known, Java desktop apps.

Comment

Originally posted by agronholm View Post
      Exactly. Java on the desktop is FAR from dead. I use PyCharm and many other, less known, Java desktop apps.
      Yep. I didn't fully understand the argument that java doesn't matter because of the current unpopularity of consumer desktop apps, considering linux never had consumer desktop users either.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

switch back to water for your bongs mate!!
        I don't get why people think I'm on drugs. The hardest drug I do is caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          Windows 10 on ARM together with x86 Win32 emulation is running all applications expect some special cases where the application developer resisted so far to spent effort. So the switch to Windows 10 on ARM can be done by every user when he feels confident and where it is seamless.
          Fixed.

My point is that even if the system is capable of running 99% of typical applications, this 1% of programs that are causing problems or not working can be decisive for users.
          In my opinion, Wayland still has too many itches to be recommended as a full replacement for X.Org. End users don't care if something is not working because the developers are lazy or because the proposed solution is just broken. They only pay attention to the current status. And status of Wayland on desktop is far from being perfect.
          Phoronix: Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project Longtime Red Hat developer Hans de Goede who has been responsible for many Linux desktop improvements over the years from laptop support fixes to open-source GPU driver fixes to most recently flicker-free boot has a new area of hacking: taking

God, even Windows 10 on ARM have less issues today. And it kind of works, but users prefers a system that works better.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

Has it ever crossed your pea brain that maybe Nvidia licenses technology and it not at liberty to share what isn't theirs?
            Let me deconstruct that argument for you:

Has it ever crossed your pea brain that maybe AMD used to license technology that it was not at liberty to share? And that AMD then deliberately chose to invest in writing code in-house to replace the encumbered bits, such that it was possible to take advantage of the FLOSS ecosystem?
            Last edited by ermo; 29 June 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Let me deconstruct that argument for you:

Has it ever crossed your pea brain that maybe AMD used to license technology that it was not at liberty to share? And that AMD then deliberately chose to invest in writing code in-house to replace the encumbered bits, such that it was possible to take advantage of the FLOSS ecosystem?
              Or AMD paid whomever they were licensing stuff from under a proprietary license to license it as free software.

Switching to AMD on a desktop is easy enough, but the selection of laptops with AMD discrete graphics seems extremely limited.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
                Fixed.

My point is that even if the system is capable of running 99% of typical applications, this 1% of programs that are causing problems or not working can be decisive for users.
                In my opinion, Wayland still has too many itches to be recommended as a full replacement for X.Org. End users don't care if something is not working because the developers are lazy or because the proposed solution is just broken. They only pay attention to the current status. And status of Wayland on desktop is far from being perfect.
                Phoronix: Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project Longtime Red Hat developer Hans de Goede who has been responsible for many Linux desktop improvements over the years from laptop support fixes to open-source GPU driver fixes to most recently flicker-free boot has a new area of hacking: taking

God, even Windows 10 on ARM have less issues today. And it kind of works, but users prefers a system that works better.
                If you are depending from the mentioned 1% percent of things that do not work for you and that are essential to your workflow, then there is no need to switch right now. My workflow is covered, I do not need anything special, everything what is getting added now is just nice to have for me. I think the situation is not that bad like many people claim, there are issues and they are known according to your post, so there is no need to worry, development goes on and they are hopefully sooner than later addressed. Just as the news from today of Waypipe and yesterdays Xfway. As a KDE Plasma user on Wayland, I miss as well the attention of all the developers for Wayland, there are tons of new features being added but the essentials are often addressed extremely delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  don't see how this discussion is in any way related to the 32 bit abandoning of Canonical. If there would be no multilib suddenly thousands of games wouldn't work anymore, so this was really stupid! With xorg we are just now at a point where the main maintainers will switch focus, this is natural and they overlapped with the Wayland developers before. So xorg is in maintenance mode, nothing new or unexpected. Wayland together with xwayland is running all applications expect some special cases where the application developer resisted so far to spent effort. So the switch to Wayland can be done by every user when he feels confident and where it is seemless.
                  It's not, we're not in that thread.
                  You're right though, it's important that XWayland gets maintained, which it probably will for a really long time no matter how much scaremongering there is .

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

It's not, we're not in that thread.
                    You're right though, it's important that XWayland gets maintained, which it probably will for a really long time no matter how much scaremongering there is .
                    Personally I don't see X11 going away anytime soon (for better or for worse).

Comment

The One True Way slowly shapes into reality. Mutter above X.Org, GNOME above them all.

Comment

Working...
                      X