Red Hat Expecting X.Org To "Go Into Hard Maintenance Mode Fairly Quickly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cape View Post
    Yeah!! Fuck noVidia! Burn spajetti code to ground!!
    all righty!

Comment

Apps are still a problem. We sadly still need Xwayland. Wish this shit could disappear in an instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
        I'm all for moving on to the newest, latest and greatest but only if the transition is absolutely seamless. Right now, it is far from it.

I'm running KDE Neon on an Dell XPS 13 (Intel graphics only), and KDE won't even log in most of the time sending you back to SDDM. When it does, the mouse pointer is twice as large as normal, all programs constantly crash until you are automatically logged out and send back to SDDM. Using an external display is completely out of the question, after logging in you are left with either a crash straight back to SDDM, or a black screen where even the TTY's aren't available and the only solution is to hold the power button.
        The experience has been getting better and better each release. Many releases ago you could barely log in before it borked. I had 5.16 running a few days before I ran away again (gaming and mouse pointers with Proton etc) and far less crashy.

It's definitely at the Beta 3/4 stage now!

and with Nate et al paying much more attention to it, bugs are gonna get squished faster and faster now!

Comment

The basic premise of the FLOSS ecosystem is that once the code is open, people can step up and integrate/build upon what is already there to the benefit of everyone. If NVidia doesn't want to take advantage of that because they feel they can gain a competitive advantage by keeping their code proprietary, that's their prerogative.

Now, if NVidia wants to support Linux and the BSDs with a closed driver, it only seems fair that they carry the burden of making sure it works.

As an aside, I decided to stop supporting NVidia a long time ago and now my money benefit AMD instead due to their willingness to engage with the FLOSS ecosystem.

Comment

Just wondering, since Red Hat is now also maintaining OpenJDK for Oracle, will they work on removing its hard X11 dependencies in the future? I tried googling but came up with exactly nothing on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by agronholm View Post
              Just wondering, since Red Hat is now also maintaining OpenJDK for Oracle, will they work on removing its hard X11 dependencies in the future? I tried googling but came up with exactly nothing on the subject.
              Red Hat is maintaining OpenJDK for it's customers and not for Oracle. In any case, RHEL/Fedora already ship openjdk-headless so it's not a hard dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
                […] or a black screen where even the TTY's aren't available and the only solution is to hold the power button.
                Sysrq-R comes to the rescue.

Comment

We will keep an eye on it as we will want to ensure X.org stays supportable until the end of the RHEL8 lifecycle at a minimum,
                  So that's something like May, 2029?

Comment

Good. I just hope effort is put into GNOME 4 becoming a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Red Hat is maintaining OpenJDK for it's customers and not for Oracle. In any case, RHEL/Fedora already ship openjdk-headless so it's not a hard dependency.
                      This article seems to tell a different story: https://www.redhat.com/en/about/pres...itions-red-hat
                      What I meant was that I run a lot of GUI java apps and would like to see them transition to a Wayland backend instead of running on top of XWayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X