Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSM DRM Adding Snapdragon 835 / Adreno 540 Support In Linux 5.3

Phoronix: MSM DRM Adding Snapdragon 835 / Adreno 540 Support In Linux 5.3

Freedreno founder Rob Clark, who is now employed by Google to work on open-source graphics, has sent in the batch of MSM Direct Rendering Manager driver changes to DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 5.3 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, my nokia 8 might have a future in the next 4~5 years then

Comment

"MSM DRM" has an awful lot of different meanings. To me, it's "Mainstream Media Digital Right Management," some kind of copyright infringement thing. To my wife, a social worker, it refers to certain sex play activities among a subset of men and often involving a rubber glove. Maybe we need to use more letters in our words so we have fewer TLA clashes.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
        "MSM DRM" has an awful lot of different meanings. To me, it's "Mainstream Media Digital Right Management," some kind of copyright infringement thing. To my wife, a social worker, it refers to certain sex play activities among a subset of men and often involving a rubber glove. Maybe we need to use more letters in our words so we have fewer TLA clashes.
        Mobile Station Modem Direct Rendering Manager

Comment

Great, but too bad it's so late.
          Where is Qualcomm and why haven't they already contributed support for this already long time ago?
          Wonder when we can see Snapdragon 845 and 855 support. Hopefully much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Mobile Station Modem Direct Rendering Manager
            yes, afaiu msm == mobile station modem.. they have switched to using "qcom" instead of "msm" (ie drivers/soc/qcom, etc), which makes sense since there are plenty of qcom SoCs without modem.. but that happened after drm/msm was upstreamed.. so I guess drm/msm is a bit of a legacy name, but driver name is something userspace sees so we can't change it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Where is Qualcomm and why haven't they already contributed support for this already long time ago?
              can't comment on 855, but there is already upstream support for 845.. in drm/msm for a long time, but 5.3 should have dts files for at least one 845 device.. display and gpu support came in quite a while back. (I'm too lazy to look up git history.. I'd say at least 6months back?)

and to a limited degree (ie. efifb w/ clk_ignore_unused and pd_ignore_unused, or drm/msm with some hacks) things are working on 850 laptops.. not quite to the point where things are smooth and seemless and "just work" like x86 devices, but making rapid progress given that these are relatively new things..

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                The driver is mostly reverse-engineered and that demands a lot of time.

Comment

Nice! It's great to see upstream kernel driver support for that GPU. Hopefully someday in the future, a fully functioning open source driver can be created, and used for devices containing that GPU (Pixel 2, Oneplus 5 etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The driver is mostly reverse-engineered and that demands a lot of time.
                    It is a shame that Qualcomm doesn't contribute any code.
                    I wonder how come Intel, AMD, ARM and everyone else is contributing code, but not Qualcomm.

Comment

Working...
                    X