No X Server 1.6 Release In Sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
    Or you can just use the official ATI driver and get two or so times better 3d-performance. I never cared that the NVIDIA drivers (I have a 512 MB GF 8 8600 GT) are closed source, because at least for me, they work fine.
    yeah but then 2D and Compiz sucka gain. With the radeon driver in jaunty you get super fast EXA, super fast Compiz, tear free Video and DRI2 which is awsome - but you also get horrible 3D performance too...

With fglrx you get decent 3D performance but the rest sucks, and there is no easy way to switch the drivers for one game. (Well basically there is no Xsever 1.6 compatible fglrx yet, so you dont have that problem )

Comment

What are you guys talking about "horrible 3D performance"? I've been using the latest git radeon and X server with my pathetic X1300 AGP and ancient 2ghz athlon64 and get 40-60fps in Nexuiz with graphics turned almost all the way up and 1280x1024.

Comment

I'm fine for waiting for another 1 year or 2

it just means that any serious graphics stuff I do I will still do it on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by Gentooer View Post
          What are you guys talking about "horrible 3D performance"? I've been using the latest git radeon and X server with my pathetic X1300 AGP and ancient 2ghz athlon64 and get 40-60fps in Nexuiz with graphics turned almost all the way up and 1280x1024.
          We're talking real games here. Try Quake 4.

Comment

It's true that nothing new is in the 1.6 branch, but looking at the bugreports and head I can clearly see that development didn't stop and all the open bugs make good progress or are already fixed in head and only need a backport.

Saying that nothing happened in the last weeks is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
              Or you can just use the official ATI driver and get two or so times better 3d-performance. I never cared that the NVIDIA drivers (I have a 512 MB GF 8 8600 GT) are closed source, because at least for me, they work fine.
              In Jaunty? Did you see how long it took for fglrx to get support for Intrepid/XServer1.5? In the end they only made it by sharing information with the Ubuntu guys to make a special version of fglrx 8.10 for Intrepid.

I think there likely won't be a problem by Jaunty's release date, but it wouldn't surprise me if fglrx doesn't support it at launch. I'm actually quite happy with the driver, but it's frustrating to be dependent on certain kernel/xorg versions. Hopefully R700 3d support will come along soon in the OSS drivers

Comment

maybe they would have less problems if intel would stop with the current 'lets half implement this cool idea, then switch fokus or dump it' policy?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  maybe they would have less problems if intel would stop with the current 'lets half implement this cool idea, then switch fokus or dump it' policy?
                  Now what, Sir, do you mean?

Comment

just look at the news archive and all that fancy projects by intel paid devs.
                    Then remember who to thank about the DRI2 pull.

Comment

Working...
                    X