X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RomuloP
    replied
    Originally posted by leech View Post
    I just keep my /home synced/backed up. KDE for some reason is one of those that likes to reset my settings (not sure why). Same with the Tilix terminal, for some reason I have to reconfigure it too...But yes, most of the config is already there if I re-install, move to another system, etc.
    What, you use puppet/ansible on your desktop?
    I hate wasting any time setting up anything, for personal machines I use BTRFS + btrbk + ansible for simple automation of partition creation and grub reinstall in new machines in the last 3~4 years, simple and effective, nothing missed. I let more complex uses of ansible + docker for machines I manage in my job.

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by RomuloP View Post

Jesus, I'm the only person that use configuration managers, images or snapshot replication? I'm pretty sure you took more time posting here than I managing my systems in the last 3 years, be it Gnome or KDE.
    I just keep my /home synced/backed up. KDE for some reason is one of those that likes to reset my settings (not sure why). Same with the Tilix terminal, for some reason I have to reconfigure it too...But yes, most of the config is already there if I re-install, move to another system, etc.
    What, you use puppet/ansible on your desktop?

Leave a comment:

• RomuloP
    replied

I have to change a bunch of settings, move things around etc to get things out of the way in KDE....P
    Jesus, I'm the only person that use configuration managers, images or snapshot replication? I'm pretty sure you took more time posting here than I managing my systems in the last 3 years, be it Gnome or KDE.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Gnome does this for me by default. Like I said earlier, on my workstation I don't have time nor the desire to muck with the config every time I set up my system.
    Uhh ok, so I take it you don't use Ubuntu then? Because you said that Ubuntu Gnome wasn't good for you by default, you had to make changes to that as well for you to be happy which would make you a bit of a hypocrite

When I install Ubuntu, I have to remove a bunch of the plugins, like that dash to dock that leaves the dock open all the time... I don't need that crap, it takes a bunch of screen space! Minimize that crap :P

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

You can have no docks/panels. You can have a terminal slide down(Yakuake) or use the additional space for the use-case you cite(though I'd say there are better ways to handle such). the popup notifications can be disabled for when you do presentations(5.16 has revamped notifications that comes with a do not disturb mode).
    Sure, KDE is very configurable. Gnome does this for me by default. Like I said earlier, on my workstation I don't have time nor the desire to muck with the config every time I set up my system. I reserve that for my 'fun' with the Amiga. That's a case of 'how cool can I make this 25+ year old system look?' It's less fun when you have multiple gigahertz systems and gigabytes of ram.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Could I get the same work done with KDE? Sure. I just prefer no docks being on the screen to take up space where I could slide another terminal and watch output, or a chat program under the windows to see when someone replies to a message (have to turn popups off, they're horrible to pop up on the screen when you're sharing it during a video conference).
    You can have no docks/panels. You can have a terminal slide down(Yakuake) or use the additional space for the use-case you cite(though I'd say there are better ways to handle such). the popup notifications can be disabled for when you do presentations(5.16 has revamped notifications that comes with a do not disturb mode).

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Currently Wayland is broken in Firefox nightly https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1560545. Upgraded today and now it stopped working
    Yeah, I keep using few days old version for now. Nevertheless, in the long run this doesn't matter, as Wayland support will be available in stable channel and distributions packages.

Leave a comment:

• Dedale
    replied
    Nice news. Even if i use Xfce. Good that a public focused company gets involved in a DE.

Leave a comment:

• ngraham
    replied
    Originally posted by Iiari View Post

O...M...G... Wow, that was a, what, 6 year, emotionally heated thread that you just resolved! I've said to folks that KDE was almost perfect except for the lack of that feature. That's it, you can now shut down the Usability and Productivity project! KDE perfection has been attained!

It was a long and hard road to get there, but I think things are now set up in a better way so we don't get ourselves in situations like that to begin with. It's amazing what some face-to-face meetings can accomplish.

Leave a comment:

• Iiari
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Then you should be very happy because I just re-added it.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=321190
    O...M...G... Wow, that was a, what, 6 year, emotionally heated thread that you just resolved! I've said to folks that KDE was almost perfect except for the lack of that feature. That's it, you can now shut down the Usability and Productivity project! KDE perfection has been attained!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X