Valve Is Funding Improvements To KDE's KWin & More Work On X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I think it's fair to say that both KDE and Gnome show some really nice development progress lately.
    Its fair to say that KDE sucks, GNOME is the best!
    DE wars!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      [*]Latency -- Favor responsiveness
      Where's that setting?
      Maybe it only shows up for certain video drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Where's that setting?
        It's in tildearrow 's low latency fork.

Comment

Where's that setting?
          Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

That.

Comment

I made a gnome-like (aka hot corner enabled) desktop with KDE so I can have a desktop and haven't looked back. Ran gnome 3 for about a year. Removing the desktop from gnome was the absolutely last straw. Not only that, it ran like ass with my RX 480. KDE is a better desktop in every way. I have a desktop, I have useful docks on each screen that come up when not focusing on that screen for ease of access, I have great smooth animations, I have a computer that is usable. None of that was possible with gnome. Gnome 3 really is the biggest blow ever to the linux desktop, because boy is it one shitty desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

OK, any plans to merge it to master?

Comment

Good job Valve for supporting my favorite desktop environment!
                I've been running Linux Mint with Cinnamon DE, but I had too many freezes on my laptop with an Nvidia GPU.
                I wanted to switch to Linux Mint with KDE Plasma DE but they decided to drop it, because they prefer GTK stuff so I had to ditch Linux Mint and jump to the best supporting distro for KDE Plasma which is Kubuntu.
                I've been running Kubuntu for the past two years without any problems and I enjoy it more and more with ever KDE Plasma release. 5.16 version is awesome.
                Thank you very much for helping making it ever better for games.
                Now I will buy a few more Linux native games from Steam to show my appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Every time I use Gnome I feel like I have something stuck on my screen that always gets in my way.
                  That's funny, I feel the exact opposite, that gnome stays out of my way and lets me launch applications, which let's face it, do you USE your desktop? Or do you use the applications that it launches? Okay, with AmigaOS, I like using the desktop and playing around with it, but on my Linux machine I actually need to get work done. Could I get the same work done with KDE? Sure. I just prefer no docks being on the screen to take up space where I could slide another terminal and watch output, or a chat program under the windows to see when someone replies to a message (have to turn popups off, they're horrible to pop up on the screen when you're sharing it during a video conference).

But everyone's workflow is different, I just like the gnome one better than any other desktop I've used.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

That's funny, I feel the exact opposite, that gnome stays out of my way and lets me launch applications, which let's face it, do you USE your desktop? Or do you use the applications that it launches? Okay, with AmigaOS, I like using the desktop and playing around with it, but on my Linux machine I actually need to get work done. Could I get the same work done with KDE? Sure. I just prefer no docks being on the screen to take up space where I could slide another terminal and watch output, or a chat program under the windows to see when someone replies to a message (have to turn popups off, they're horrible to pop up on the screen when you're sharing it during a video conference).

But everyone's workflow is different, I just like the gnome one better than any other desktop I've used.
                    Hummm I do almost everything you mentioned with KDE... I'm not getting the difference.

Comment

OK, any plans to merge it to master?
                      Answer's in the readme.

Comment

Working...
                      X