X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retardxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian has gnome3 as default too. AS people need a guide and have less own sense. That is why gnome3 is the default desktop in many distributions. Distributions maintainers are happy when IBM is a guide and users are happy when the distribution is a guide. AS people live in a bubble out of the reality.
    Its high time that this mentally ill retard got banned, not even for the forums sake but for his own mental health. Does Phoronix want to be responsible for the increasing schizo disorders of its users?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    I do use Plasma Wayland only including gaming and so far all games have been working fine since xwayland 1.20.1. I cannot really complain, but it is nice to see more improvements for xwayland. Hope that sdl12-compat will replace the normal sdl1 package soon or at least it should be an option, this will allow many games to run native on Wayland. As almost all games run fullscreen or in a borderless window I do not really understand why they depend from xorg anyway.
    I think the main rough edge on Wayland will be adaptive sync support. I'm planning to buy 2.5K / 144Hz FreeSync monitor once Navi cards will come out (since they would be able to handle that well), and unless Wayland/XWayalnd use case will support it, I'll be stuck with Xorg.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    I do use Plasma Wayland only including gaming and so far all games have been working fine since xwayland 1.20.1. I cannot really complain, but it is nice to see more improvements for xwayland. Hope that sdl12-compat will replace the normal sdl1 package soon or at least it should be an option, this will allow many games to run native on Wayland. As almost all games run fullscreen or in a borderless window I do not really understand why they depend from xorg anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by v21cesc View Post
    When will the Nvidia proprietary driver provide 3D acceleration under wayland... I think this is more important
    I don't think it's important. If you care about cutting edge technology in the Linux stack and going all Wayland, you shouldn't be using Nvidia by now anyway. AMD has good gaming GPUs and now Navi are coming to make things even better. That's a very clear choice today for Linux gamers who want the modern stack. Later there should be also Intel joining the high end GPU market. Nvidia will be pushed aside on Linux even more. They don't want to play by the rules - it's their problem, not ours.
    Last edited by shmerl; 24 May 2019, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Why are games using GLX directly anyway? They shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Understandable.

But the issue is that you log into Wayland in the first place.

If you just used X.Org from the very start you wouldn't have this dilemma.
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    So just uninstall that buggy piece of shit Wayland then?

Or are you a masochist?
    These are both basically the same problem. X11 leaks input to every open application by design. So those who are after more secure input handling are going to want to be using Wayland warts and all.

X11 protocol is a buggy piece of shit just in different ways to the way Wayland implementation are buggy. Please note I said Wayland implementations. Most of the issues of Wayland when you look closely at the protocol there is nothing wrong there are just ways you can choose to implement Wayland that hurts big time.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    You did not read this blog post. Xwayland gaming problems are just fixed and more to come. Then you have the input lag, see the many year old bug report.
    You probably read the blog post and confused what it says (i.e. confusing Gnome Wayland session with Wayland in general). The additional input lag is the same as on Windows in borderless mode, or Xorg with compositor left on, which I personally dislike for fast games, but is fine for many users. At least the tearing issue is fixed to 100%, which is a reoccurring annoyance on xorg for many users.

So far every game I started ran totally fine performance wise in a Plasma Wayland session. I btw. think Xorg can't solve the issue of the compositor not having higher merit than running 3D game which utilizes all GPU resources. So if you want to play in "borderless", xwayland already is better than Xorg.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Everybody except Nvidia users which accounts for 81% marketshare.
    And me, an Intel user, because KDE still can't figure out how to not crash the session when opening Dolphin on Wayland and how to enable the context menu on the panel and desktop on Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• v21cesc
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    I could be wrong but this should actually help getting Xwayland working on nVidia.
    nvidia's proprietary driver doesn't provide 3D acceleration with wayland up till now, I'm afraid. it's a little too early to expect the gaming gets helped

Leave a comment:

• v21cesc
    replied
    When will the Nvidia proprietary driver provide 3D acceleration under wayland... I think this is more important

Leave a comment:

Working...
X