X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    Xfce is based on Gnome foundations. Because of this it is doomed to always follow the Gnome direction and adapt to it. The same is true to all other Gnome based desktops (mate, cinamon, etc). AFAIK KDE is the only real alternative that is based on its own foundation libraries - and pretty good IMHO.
    There is another one that has its own foundation libraries that common gets forgotten about https://www.enlightenment.org/.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Canonical made the mistake to succumb to the Red Hat controlled ecosystem (gnome & friends). I kind of get the why. Up to today all attempts to challenge this by any distribution have failed. Canonical gave in to gain "points" in the enterprise crowd in which RH is deeply entrenched. I still think it was a wrong move. They had the opportunity to become the Apple analogous to the Microsoft of 00s. Now they became followers instead of leaders.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

KDE is not any better than gnome3. KDE is badly designed, never ready, buggy, slow, resource hog and difficult to use too. The best distributions use the Xfce desktop that is ready, stable, fast, light, easy to use and needs a very little maintenance.
    Xfce is based on Gnome foundations. Because of this it is doomed to always follow the Gnome direction and adapt to it. The same is true to all other Gnome based desktops (mate, cinamon, etc). AFAIK KDE is the only real alternative that is based on its own foundation libraries - and pretty good IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov
    Man, it's such a shame that Canonical didn't end up going with KDE and investing their developer's time there instead of at Gnome.
    Besides no real argument in your post, that would have made me switch. I feel KDE is really cluttered and messy, and not more stable than gnome. Whenever i had a look at it did last not more than 2 days before i happily switched back. I do like the idea and workflows in Gnome 3, they're really efficient for me.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    microcode You misunderstood. Vanvugt is a special breed. He won’t do reviews or merges on other people’s work. He just do patches and often break protocol on commit messages, styles etc. That’s totally fine because Canonical also have other mutter developers who do reviews, merges and janitorial CI fixes. Canonical and GNOME is really kicking it. Words from Mark Shuttleworth is that the cooperation is very good.
    The guy's clearly clever and I'm not sure many people would want to touch code he's more than happy to play around with. I understand the hesitation in accepting his MRs as much as people swear by them, as they tend to have regressions or highlight problems in other areas.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    Vanvugt has done some really great work to make GS better. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to coordinate very closely with the rest of the gnome community, unlike some other Canonical fellows. Therefore his work sometimes ends up not matching the direction of the rest of the project, taking longer to get reviewed or doesn't get merged at all.
    Still I'm always happy when one of his MRs finally crosses the finish line
    Gotta say, it's pretty understandable not wanting to get involved with the GNOME "community", outside making one's patches available. Good that this way of working is accommodated. :- )

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    Will it solve that weird half-second freeze when you press a "normal" key after a multimedia key?
    The answer would be most likely no. This would most likely be input lag side. To be correct the input side stalling.

Output lag and input lag are different problems. Yes it would be good to have solid measurements on both.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Will it solve that weird half-second freeze when you press a "normal" key after a multimedia key?

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by bearoso View Post

Same thing. Input lag, output lag, it’s the time between the input occurring and a reaction happening on the output, so both terms are fine.

This is is one of two of vanvugt’s long-standing patches to be committed in the last few days. Pretty soon we won’t need to patch Mutter to get the lag to an acceptable level.
    NO input lag and output lag are two different things.

Input lag is the time the input takes to get to the application.
    output lag is the time the generated output takes to get from the application to screen.
    Total latency is input lag+ output lag + application processing lag.

Rough eyeballing is total latency and a guess where the problem is.

Depending on what form of lag alter what area of code needs fixing. If the problem is output lag and you are attempting to fix input lag developer will never find the problem. Same with the reverse.
    Last edited by oiaohm; 21 May 2019, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Glad to see performance optimizations for X11 as it's not going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X