The Process For Eventually Releasing X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    sounds to me pretty much like Wayland, will we see anymore wayland releases anytime soon or the future? ( thats up in the air ) i think Xserver will survive whereas Wayland IMO is almost another Titanic
    X will survive to run legacy applications. It'll be the lumbering zombie that gets optionally installed. It will see very few updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      sounds to me pretty much like Wayland, will we see anymore wayland releases anytime soon or the future? ( thats up in the air ) i think Xserver will survive whereas Wayland IMO is almost another Titanic
      I think the web is dying, because we don't see many updates to the http protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Just take a look at BeOS, and how Microsoft killed Be with their deals with OEMs.
        That's a ridiculous statement. At best Microsoft only ignored it, just like everyone else did. It died entirely on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

A separate XWayland build that has only minimal (and restrictive) set of features would be cool. It could reduce attack surface and reduce the amount of stuff required.

make it require a modern hardware set (GLAMOR / libinput etc) to keep size down through feature restriction.
          I don't know, fundamentally anything that restricts the feature set or requires newer hardware is limiting the usefullness of something that is primarily sticking around for backwards compatibility purposes. There's certainly a tradeoff to discuss there, but I think it's going to be tough to get people to agree to do that when they could just leave it alone in maintenance mode.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I don't know, fundamentally anything that restricts the feature set or requires newer hardware is limiting the usefullness of something that is primarily sticking around for backwards compatibility purposes. There's certainly a tradeoff to discuss there, but I think it's going to be tough to get people to agree to do that when they could just leave it alone in maintenance mode.
            It could be used as a forcing function to get people to update their apps against newer toolkit versions/wayland.

I understand that it is going to hang around (like Python2) for a long time, but could be a gate on what makes it into/gets removed from a distro - a minimum version

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              GLX? Look. Why would you want to remove something 95% of applications still use?! (furthermore, please tell me how can I wait for VBlank without swapping buffers in EGL)
              Now I'm really curious. I don't want to GLX to go away either but why would you not want to have buffer swapping with sync to VBlank?

Comment

I think the web is dying, because we don't see many updates to the http protocol.
                Uhm, the entire protocol was just redesigned from scratch as HTTP2 a short while ago. Bad analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It could be used as a forcing function to get people to update their apps against newer toolkit versions/wayland.

I understand that it is going to hang around (like Python2) for a long time, but could be a gate on what makes it into/gets removed from a distro - a minimum version
                  Getting rid of X entirely would do a better job of that if that's what distros are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Uhm, the entire protocol was just redesigned from scratch as HTTP2 a short while ago. Bad analogy.
                    http/2 was published 4 years ago. That's older than multiple wayland releases.

In fact, you can track it's history back through SPDY which was initially announced right around the same time that Wayland was. You could very roughly compare http1 and x11 dates too, if you wanted to extend things even further.

All of which is ignoring the fact that my post was obviously sarcastic and not meant to be thought too deeply about.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 16 May 2019, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Getting rid of X entirely would do a better job of that if that's what distros are interested in.
                      Why not both? The cut down XWayland could be the carrot - and smitty with a massive stick could come and whack people with the NO MOAR X stick :P

Comment

Working...
                      X