Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
    That's a long list of requirements for no listed hiring rate... As much as I like Michael and RH, I dislike seeing Phoronix advertising for Red Hat with such a bad job ad. Shame on both of you.

Edit: just to clarify for the Americans out there: they list a bunch of unique requirements in order to get the cream of the crop, yet they are not willing to show what they're willing to pay, hoping for people they hire to be paid less than they could be paid. It's scummy. If you're going to say "well, where I work they also don't disclose what they're wanting to pay up front", they you might too be in a scummy company.
    Utter bullshit! A person qualified for such a position will know the industry going rate and more so the value he can contribute. As such he will negotiate a reasonable salary if offered a job.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They do that for all sorts of American jobs. No need to get all nationalist on us. Jobs like to fuck us regardless of the country we live in, and they do some scummy stuff here. They list requirements that are technically impossible, like needing 5 years of c++ 17 experience. If you manage to get a really "good" job, HR has dedicated staff to help you get welfare and food stamps.

That 5+ year *lists random graphics stuff* part is going to be the biggest deal breaker. Unless using the software counts, I doubt that very few people will meet that requirement that aren't already at a good paying job.

"aren't already at a good paying job" that right there highlights that RedHat has a lot of room to make an offer. So a prospective hire needs to be smart about what is possible in the area he will be working. Then ask for a decent rate.

Comment

I see the remote working as a positive for those who like it, but I really don't see how "we'll pay you 50% of our already undisclosed planned wage because you live in Kenya or somewhere else" as a positive and *certainly* not as something Michael should be advertising on the website.
        First off it really isn't and advertisement, it is news if you remember what that is.

Second; if a developer in Kenya can get a rate well above the local norm then what difference does it make. The cost of living is vastly different. One of the reasons I don't move to California or other high cost of living state is that I don't want to see my high wages burnt up by the excessively high cost of living. It is my choice to earn a little less and actually have a better way of life than the nonsense people experience in California (especially the bay area).

So honestly I don't know what you are going on about, if you don't know what you are worth, then don't blame Redhat or anybody else.

Comment

I dislike
          your opinion is very important to us
          for the Americans out there
          last time i checked airlied was australian

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

While I don't qualify for that job at all, it would suck to be screwed on pay because my state has a lower cost of living than most of America.
            Again the is complete nonsense in the end it is all about your standard of living. It is far far easier to have a higher standard of living in mid America, on a lower wage, than it is to survive in the Bay area. It is like that with many metropolitan areas frankly! Beyond that you can't be screwed if you are informed as to the going rate for the job in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think you've got that backwards.

If I fit that list of requirements, I'd definitely assume I could negotiate my own salary to whatever I wanted. If RH just flat out said it was $X per year, that'd be a turn off in my book.

Now if this was a job at McDonald's, then sure it'd be better to have it public.
              I think this is something that some of the complainers don't understand, this isn't a Hamburg flipping job!!!! It is't a governmental job either. It isn't even a job in humour resources.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Good to see that IBM acquiring RedHat didn't hamper their Mesa / DRI efforts.
                IBM is heavily invested in Linux and has a hand in many open source efforts so really this is no surprise at all.

Honestly I sometimes wish I was in a position to hire open source developers because frankly we all have to eat. A job is as good a way as any to contribute to open source.

Comment

I'd venture they already have a candidate in mind and the requirements were written as they were to make it harder for HR to fuck things up. It's one way to protect against "diversity" hires and corporate-wide "targets" for internal promotion quotas.

Comment

rbmorse : I wouldn’t be surprised. I have a family member (spent over a decade in a management position) at a tech company close to 6 times larger than RH and posting a req was a requirement for any hires or internal transfers. Posting one when a candidate has already been selected or pretty much finalized happens more often than one might think.

Cheers,
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      IBM is heavily invested in Linux and has a hand in many open source efforts so really this is no surprise at all.
                      In server Linux yes, but I doubt they care much about Linux graphics stack. Oracle is also invested in Linux for example. And we know their general attitude. So I hope that acquisition won't make things worse.
                      Last edited by shmerl; 14 May 2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X