Intel & AMD Send Out New Patches For Linux Cgroup Support For GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel & AMD Send Out New Patches For Linux Cgroup Support For GPUs

Phoronix: Intel & AMD Send Out New Patches For Linux Cgroup Support For GPUs

Separate patch series sent out on Wednesday by Intel and AMD Linux developers are continuing work on prepping cgroup infrastructure support around graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this does seem interesting, I wonder if it can be enabled by default - to help secure normal desktops even more? especially paired with wayland and flatpak

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      this does seem interesting, I wonder if it can be enabled by default - to help secure normal desktops even more? especially paired with wayland and flatpak
      how would this help secure anything? this is for limiting gpu usage, this could be used to make an scheduler for example

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

how would this help secure anything? this is for limiting gpu usage, this could be used to make an scheduler for example
        the same way that cgroups prevents unauthorised access to other apps memory?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

the same way that cgroups prevents unauthorised access to other apps memory?
          This shouldn't be possible, regardless of the presence or absence of cgroup

Comment

Originally posted by Stefem View Post

This shouldn't be possible, regardless of the presence or absence of cgroup
            Well, i'm no expert on GPU allocations but in theory with wayland at least should be possible to put some barrier to only allow certain process to successfully upload command streams to the GPU with cgroups.

Also cgroups could control by default(without compositor fine-tuning) that no other session can send/query/sniff command streams to/from the GPU as well, so something like an attacker process running as a different u/gid could not capture your screen, for example.

i'm not too sure if this could be applied to DMA allocations since i don't know if those pass through the CS or are a separate infrastructure

Comment

SR IOV in the consumer space is a big deal. Full bare metal performance virtualization. One gpu for multiple OS's- that kinda thing.

Comment

Would be awesome to limit CPU and GPU this to measure performance/scalability of a 3D engines.

Comment

Working...
                X