Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's FreeSync Linux Code Continues To Be Improved Upon For Low Frame-Rate Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatino View Post
    It's really nice seeing freesync working so well on Linux. I'm just waiting for it to work with 2 monitors. I've been looking for freesync monitor for a while, but I'm not ready to give up my dual monitor setup for this.
    I was also under the assumption it didn't work with 2 monitors, but I was just trying out the new SuperTuxCart 1.0 and noticed FreeSync was working on my dual-monitor setup (verified with the OSD on both monitors), so we might be already there.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No plans for enabling hdmi freesync support. Some code for it is in place. Developers use DP monitors and the amdgpu driver support better DP monitors. Sell your hdmi monitor and buy a DP monitor, f.ex the ASUS VP28UQG monitor.
      There are people that like to play on big screens and on the couch. I bought this massive samsung 4k tv (65inches) *only* because it claimed VRR FreeSync support. But it only has HDMI ports. I don't know of any large enough screen that can have Freesync over DP. HDMI is not an obscure standard. It is used everywhere (still).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No plans for enabling hdmi freesync support. Some code for it is in place. Developers use DP monitors and the amdgpu driver support better DP monitors. Sell your hdmi monitor and buy a DP monitor, f.ex the ASUS VP28UQG monitor.
        i cannot do that, i dont have the money for a new monitor and even if i did i would also need a new mobo because im using a 2400G and the mobo only has HDMI, DVI and VGA output

Comment

Right, unless there are 65" screens with DP, I'd need freesync to work over HDMI, otherwise it's pointless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I was also under the assumption it didn't work with 2 monitors, but I was just trying out the new SuperTuxCart 1.0 and noticed FreeSync was working on my dual-monitor setup (verified with the OSD on both monitors), so we might be already there.
            just to be clear - you got it working with two identical freesync monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
              this is nice but PLEASE add support for HDMI freesync
              No plans for enabling hdmi freesync support. REAL developers who use 300Hz kernels use nvidia GPUs and nvidia drivers better support freesync. Sell your AMD GPU and buy an NVIDIA GPU, e.g. RTX 2080Ti quad-SLI.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

just to be clear - you got it working with two identical freesync monitors?
                They're not identical, one is a Viewsonic XG2401 and the other is an Insignia NS-PMG248. Both are 24" 144hz 1080p FreeSync monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Dual monitor freesync works with atomic usermode - a.k.a not X. X has a limitation where it doesn't let clients direct flip presentation unless they cover the whole X screen - in this case that would be one covering both monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                    Thank you Mario.
                    But our VRR over HDMI is in another castle!

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
                      Right, unless there are 65" screens with DP, I'd need freesync to work over HDMI, otherwise it's pointless to me.
                      HDMI 2.1 has it's own 'freesync' standard called VRR, it stands for Variable Refresh Rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X