Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's FreeSync Linux Code Continues To Be Improved Upon For Low Frame-Rate Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone on reddit suggested zaphodheads would allow freesync to work correctly with dual monitors, does that sound reasonable?
    i only use my small side monitor for conky and choqok (for twitter) anyway so not being able to move stuff between screens isn't much of a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanL View Post

Dual monitor freesync works with atomic usermode - a.k.a not X. X has a limitation where it doesn't let clients direct flip presentation unless they cover the whole X screen - in this case that would be one covering both monitors.
      On my system I'm using Xorg 1.20.4 and had the displays mirrored and fullscreen, if that helps clarify. Ubuntu 19.04, Kernel 5.0.9, and oibaf ppa which has Mesa 19.1.0-devel.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

hdmi, is massively used in Europe..
        hdmi is for tv and consumer electronics. dp is for computers

Comment

Originally posted by fatino View Post
          It's really nice seeing freesync working so well on Linux. I'm just waiting for it to work with 2 monitors. I've been looking for freesync monitor for a while, but I'm not ready to give up my dual monitor setup for this.
          Here here, and the second monitors shouldn't need freesync for it to work with a monitor 1 with freesync. It would also be nice if window mode was possible down the line, or at least borderless window mode. I think steamplay atm uses a special fullscreen window mode for its scaling so yeah,...

Originally posted by JordanL View Post
          X. X has a limitation where it doesn't let clients direct flip presentation unless they cover the whole X screen -
          Well someone needs to fix it so X org doesn't have this limit

Last edited by theriddick; 27 April 2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post

Which is a shame. DP should be universal; it is superior to HDMI except for cable price and that difference is small.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              In Europe, all Consumers come with hdmi..
              I think HDMI 2.1( encoding 16b/18b ) can transmit ~100Gb/s of compressed data, DP can only do 36 or 48Gb/s don't remember exactly

dp seems maybe simpler( but I don't know much about it..)

HDMI2.1 supports VRR( Variable Refresh Rate )

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post

Which is a shame. DP should be universal; it is superior to HDMI except for cable price and that difference is small.
                The reason you aren't going to see DPs on TVs anytime soon it's always the same, we can't have good stuff because of DRM (not the Direct Rendering Manager, the evil DRM).

Comment

Originally posted by SupposedlyFunny View Post

The reason you aren't going to see DPs on TVs anytime soon it's always the same, we can't have good stuff because of DRM (not the Direct Rendering Manager, the evil DRM).
                  There is HDCP in DisplayPort.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    The sad truth is that DP is almost irrelevant and HDMI is the universal standard. Looking at motherboards: All have HDMI, close to none have DisplayPort. Laptops? Ones with a DP or mini-DP port are really rare, some high-end models have it but most don't. Every laptop's got HDMI. On the monitor side there's DP on most newer computer monitors but there's still some that don't have it. The other monitor type, televisions - which is the only choice above 32" - has DP on perhaps one in a hundred. I have never seen a surround receiver with DisplayPort or USB audio for that matter (I mean USB sound card ability), it's all HDMI.

I'd love to see DisplayPort on everything - but HDMI's the standard. It's kind of important to have support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

There is HDCP in DisplayPort.
                      I wasn't aware, you are totally right. It also has "content protection" (DPCP). TIL.

Comment

Working...
                      X