2008 Linux Graphics Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Ok, I do not own a laptop, so I never use suspend. Hibernation/Suspend to Disk is useless anyway because you would read in worst case more data than you would do with a normal boot when you memory is big and used.
    That's not 100% accurate, Kano... Suspending to disk takes a snapshot of the system RAM and flushes it to disk, where it resides until you restart. It's "less useful" than saving files out for many instances, but there may be instances where you want it to be just where you left off (There have been instances thereof in my past, I just won't bore anyone with them... ). It's just not useful to you in your past experience. That, my friend, doesn't make it useless to everyone.

Comment

I'm glad others have done their homework. Had I done mine, I would have voted for KMS too. I guess it's just poorly described. Flicker free boot...who cares. Better suspend/resume you say? Now I seem to care a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        And you're wrong. KMS is extremely important for suspend and hibernation, which is critical for laptop users. It's a huge boon for display hotplug.
        Interesting. This should be emphasized more often.

KMS is way more interesting to me than DRI2 is. GEM interests me most of all, of course. Without it, neither DRI2 nor KMS could really work.
        Which of these actually controls drawing pixels on the console? DRI/DRI2?

I ask that because currently I use the nvidia binary driver, but boot directly in text-only console mode, and I can (if X is horked) work from it or easily switch to the nv driver (symlinks are soooo handy!) and get to the GUI if it's just the nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Ok, I do not own a laptop, so I never use suspend. Hibernation/Suspend to Disk is useless anyway because you would read in worst case more data than you would do with a normal boot when you memory is big and used.
          I beg to differ. ATM it is far faster for me to suspend to disk than it is to boot up a fresh new session, open all my apps and files, that is when it doesn't completely screw up and then you're stuck with the penalty of actually having to restart. The utility of suspend to disk is reduced, in my opinion, by suspend to ram (hibernate).

Personally I use hibernate, which is lightning fast and these days and laptops can last days on suspend whilst running on battery.

Comment

Working...
          X