Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lima DRM/KMS Driver Is Ready For Introduction With Linux 5.2

Phoronix: The Lima DRM/KMS Driver Is Ready For Introduction With Linux 5.2

Beyond the Lima Gallium3D driver being merged into Mesa 19.1, the Linux 5.2 kernel will be introducing the DRM/KMS kernel open-source driver developed via reverse-engineering for these Arm Mali 400/450 graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How many ARM boards with Mali 400 actually supported in mainline by now?

Comment

Librecomputer has very recent offerings with these Mali chips. Le Potato boards and soon to be shipped La Frite. Both are highly competitive with Rpi3b+ and have mainline support. I am very glad to see these drivers come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        How many ARM boards with Mali 400 actually supported in mainline by now?
        Tested on

• Mali400
          • Allwinner A10/A20/H3/A64
          • Rockchip RK3188
          • Exynos 4412
        • Mali450
          • Allwinner H5
          • Rockchip RK3328
          • Amlogic S905X

Comment

Originally posted by bradlyatc View Post
          Both are highly competitive with Rpi3b+ and have mainline support.
          The most important feature in SBCs is 100% RPi & Arduino compatibility. You want hats for both boards to work out of the box. Arduino users expect separate program and data memories along with 8 bit registers and 16 MHz speed. RPi users expect blank HDMI output when attempting to play 4k videos. The competitors also need to turn off all extra USB hosts and SATA ports.

Comment

Any chance you could update the article to mention the main developer of this driver Qiang Yu, you only mention Luc and I don't think he's had much / anything to do with this new code

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Any chance you could update the article to mention the main developer of this driver Qiang Yu, you only mention Luc and I don't think he's had much / anything to do with this new code
              Yes, I believed Qiang Yu has mentioned that the only thing they took from the old Lima driver is the name, of course they made use of the reverse engineered effort, other than that it is 100% new code.

Comment

im hoping this will boost porting cellphones to the mainline kernel,like postmarketos does

Comment

Originally posted by clementhk View Post

Yes, I believed Qiang Yu has mentioned that the only thing they took from the old Lima driver is the name, of course they made use of the reverse engineered effort, other than that it is 100% new code.
                  For the DRM side, that is probably true. For the userspace side, i had to go and claim my copyright, as a lot of code was plainly copy/pasted out from my actual work, as there was of course no appropriation whatsoever. While some bits then did get my copyright, several snippets of plainly copy/pasted code were plainly reordered to mask the true origin of the code.
                  Last edited by libv; 12 April 2019, 03:04 PM. Reason: mention code reordering to avoid copyright appropriation.

Comment

libv basically built all of the infrastructure (bit stream capture, decoder, etc) necessary to build out the DRM and userspace side. Without the chicken there is no egg and without the egg there's no chicken (usable FOSS pipeline). This is IP deployed over a billion times and be thankful for libv, yuq, community members, and corporate contributors. You have your lead developers, small contributors, testers, integration developers, sponsors, and adopters who all share credit in seeing this through. That's how open source today works thankfully and not like when libv first started where he got flack and a lot of headwind.

ARM really needs to update their business model and not invent these artificial hoops to jump through.
                    Last edited by LoveRPi; 13 April 2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X