SUSE Develops New Driver That Exposes DRM Atop FBDEV Frame-Buffer Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Develops New Driver That Exposes DRM Atop FBDEV Frame-Buffer Drivers

Phoronix: SUSE Develops New Driver That Exposes DRM Atop FBDEV Frame-Buffer Drivers

SUSE developer Thomas Zimmermann has posted his work on "FBDEVDRM" as a new Direct Rendering Manager driver for exposing the DRM interfaces on top of legacy "FBDEV" frame-buffer drivers. For old frame-buffer drivers not ported to modern DRM/KMS interfaces, this could open up some interesting possibilities and at least allow these vintage display drivers to work with the likes of Plymouth and other programs only supporting the DRM interfaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still have my very first laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1000 with a Celeron M (P3/4 based) and SiS graphics. Interested to see how this may benefit that.

Comment

I was hoping this might handle planar pixel formats, allowing DRM on my old Amiga, but I've checked the code and sadly it's chunky only.

Comment

Working...
      X