Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0 Brings FreeSync VRR Bit, TearFree Fixes

Phoronix: xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0 Brings FreeSync VRR Bit, TearFree Fixes

AMD released their newest xf86-video-amdgpu DDX driver today with various additions for enabling new functionality where needed by this X.Org display driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just upgraded to 5.0 kernel on arch and even with latest mesa-git and video-amdgpu-git I get weird line artifacts and the screen fades to black using my Vega 56.

I downgraded to 4.20 and all is fine, so I thought I'd give linux-amd-staging-drm-next a go and that works fine. Sad to see such a big kernel release not work, especially with all the supposed testing it's had.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
      I just upgraded to 5.0 kernel on arch and even with latest mesa-git and video-amdgpu-git I get weird line artifacts and the screen fades to black using my Vega 56.

I downgraded to 4.20 and all is fine, so I thought I'd give linux-amd-staging-drm-next a go and that works fine. Sad to see such a big kernel release not work, especially with all the supposed testing it's had.
      Patience is the key. We are so close to get the out-of-the-box experience. I expect it to work within the next 2 weeks on Arch (especially since they already released Linux 5.0).

Comment

no, you won't

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
          Do I get FreeSync if I use the modesetting driver also? I like using the built-in modesetting driver in all of my machines.
          Nope, on modesetting neither you get TearFree nor FreeSync.

Comment

Why not? I thought modesetting was supposed to be better and a replacement to vendor specific DDXs?
            Because no one implemented them for modesetting

I just mentioning these two, but there are else things that does not work with modesetting but they do with amdgpu, like setting Scaling Mode behavior, i like to set that to Full aspect ratio as default, etc..
            Last edited by dungeon; 06 March 2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Why not? I thought modesetting was supposed to be better and a replacement to vendor specific DDXs?
              My impression was more that the modesetting DDX was supposed to be a good common driver using standard APIs (KMS, OpenGL), not that it was to become the platform for vendor-specific features. I could be wrong there though.
              Test signature

Comment

What about e.g. TearFree is vendor specific though? It should work on any hardware, am I wrong?

From what we've heard, the Adaptive Sync implementation should also be rather vendor independent. Why shouldn't it be possible to expose via standard APIs and used in modesetting if capable hardware present?
                Last edited by juno; 06 March 2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                  What about e.g. TearFree is vendor specific though? It should work on any hardware, am I wrong?

From what we've heard, the Adaptive Sync implementation should also be rather vendor independent. Why shouldn't it be possible to expose via standard APIs and used in modesetting if capable hardware present?
                  It's possible, someone just has to do the work and implement support for those features in the modesetting ddx.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Nope, on modesetting neither you get TearFree nor FreeSync.
                    PageFlip. But it seems to eliminate tearing in fullscreen applications only.

Though, the modesetting driver is recommended for Intel users, since the xf86-video-intel 3 is following the Half-Life 3 fate.

Comment

Working...
                    X