X11 Display Manager Sees Its First Update In Seven Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tillin9 View Post
    Guys - debianxfce clearly doesn't like laptops. That's an okay opinion to have.
    There's a big difference between not liking laptops and making blanket statements like "all laptops are toys" because of a couple crappy anecdotes. That being said:
    I personally am not a big fan either - though mainly since I find using them to be annoying / uncomfortable. Basically, for me laptop keyboards are universally worse than their full sized desktop equivalents and touchpads are a poor substitute for mice. I have an ASUS ZenBook, and while it was the best laptop I could find, if I'm not at a conference or doing some other work offsite, you won't find me using it. I also understand laptops are never the best value - you compromise on everything (performance, storage, upgradability, etc.) for form factor and almost always pay double the price when compared to a similarly spec'd desktop. All that said - while a laptop will never be my only computer, I do occasionally have for something portable, hence why I own one.
    Everything you stated there is a personal opinion with an explanation and subjective reasons. Except the whole thing about value (the built-in features, battery, and portability are arguably equivalent trade-offs of performance and upgradability) there is nothing wrong, stupid, exaggerated, or (for the most part) generalized about what you said. That's a good thing - unlike most people around here, you actually know how to clearly state an opinion without coming across as arrogant or an elitist.
    EDIT:
    Most importantly, you didn't treat your opinion like it's a unanimously held belief, and therefore, is worth respecting.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 March 2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      FTFY.
      Another retarded moron.

Comment

Originally posted by LordSamanon View Post
        I was about to post how refreshing it is to see the regular trolls (debianxfce, starshipeleven, dungeon), arguing about something that isn't GNOME, KDE, systemd, etc. I should have known better haha.
        Dunno, sounds like a sock puppet account. Who is the butthurt behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I can see why he is upset about cheap laptop machines, though.
          I am upset about all laptops that aren't businness laptops.
          I mean the build quality in a 1000$ device should be better than in a 400$ right? What about 1500$? No fucking way. Still trash. Also battery life and non-removable batteries that have led to a significant market in external power banks for fucking laptops (mimicking the same idiocy in smartphones where you get razor-thin devices that will need a bigass powerbank in the bag if you want to do anything more intensive than chatting every now and then).

Apple reaches whole new levels on this as they specifically place components in the parts that are most likely to get wet, and have NO KIND OF water-spill-aware design whatsoever.

But still, I don't make wide sweeping claims about all laptops and say that a microATX PC rig is a good substitute for a laptop. Or even recommend to buy an old gaming ring and a cheap crap laptop to people that can barely afford the cheap crap laptop to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Well, it preloads the X server and necessary libraries. This makes the login a bit faster after you've typed something. If you used some gtk/qt login manager, it would log in even faster since more libraries have been preloaded.

Another advantage is that when using display managers, you don't need to worry about someone pressing ctrl-c in your VT. You can disable VT switch, but X can crash.
            I guess that makes me a crazy luddite then; i'm one of those who appends
            Code:
            systemd.unit-multi-user.target
            to grub2 for booting directly to TTY1 and then launching the graphical interface with
            Code:
            dbus-run-session startx /path/to/DE/or/WM/executable
            or
            Code:
            XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland DE_SPECIFIC_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLES=here dbus-run-session / path/to/Wayland/DE

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I am upset about all laptops that aren't businness laptops.
              I mean the build quality in a 1000$ device should be better than in a 400$ right? What about 1500$? No fucking way. Still trash. Also battery life and non-removable batteries that have led to a significant market in external power banks for fucking laptops (mimicking the same idiocy in smartphones where you get razor-thin devices that will need a bigass powerbank in the bag if you want to do anything more intensive than chatting every now and then).

Apple reaches whole new levels on this as they specifically place components in the parts that are most likely to get wet, and have NO KIND OF water-spill-aware design whatsoever.

But still, I don't make wide sweeping claims about all laptops and say that a microATX PC rig is a good substitute for a laptop. Or even recommend to buy an old gaming ring and a cheap crap laptop to people that can barely afford the cheap crap laptop to begin with.
              The distiction between business and consumer laptops have blurred to a point where anybody can simply pass a black or alumimium-coloured laptop as a business laptop and sell it for a premium.

Even Lenovo is going this way with the L series Thinkpads that are essentially rebadged IdeaPads.

And business laptops = hardware accessible and user-maintainable is no longer the case nowadays.

It is for this reason I stopped trying to make a difference between either and chose to go with what fits my budget and requirements. And as long as it's black, of course.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 04 March 2019, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                The distiction between business and consumer laptops have blurred to a point where anybody can simply pass a black or alumimium-coloured laptop as a business laptop and sell it for a premium.
                That's HP lineup, but HP has always been a joke.

Dell and Lenovo still have that distinction. Of course not all their laptops are in that range.

Dell also has "businness tablets" (technically not businness, but very commonly bought in businesses apparently if all the refurb/used old businness units I find) like the Dell Venue 11 that have removable battery, removable wifi card, removable SSD and a free M.2 slot with key A+E for a LTE modem (and a SIM card slot), all behind a removable back panel. And yes it works perfectly fine on Linux (you only need to swap wifi card with another random 20$ M.2 card as the default one is a tablet-grade one that communicates over SDIO).

Even Lenovo is going this way with the L series Thinkpads that are essentially rebadged IdeaPads.
                They are pretty cheap, sold with the "budget" and "green" and "recycled materials" keyword all over, and even if they are not true businness laptops they are still better than flip-flop IdeaPads. Like just look at the hinges.

"Businness" laptops as I define them are usually in the 1200-2000$ range when new. They have always been in the expensive range.

And business laptops = hardware accessible and user-maintainable is no longer the case nowadays.
                Only difference is that CPU is soldered. RAM, HDD, and usually wifi and M.2 slots.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Another retarded moron.
                  You don't like non-business laptops. I don't like any laptops.

Not such a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I recently bought a "ThinkPad" X280 and this was my experience as well. It doesn't even have on-board Ethernet anymore despite having room on the chassis; it instead offers a dongle (for an additonal $35) that goes to some proprietary connector (rather than just USB, etc). This was very disappointing so I rolled back to my old ThinkPad X230 for now until I absolutely must upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      You don't like non-business laptops. I don't like any laptops.

Not such a big difference.
                      The difference is that I have actual good reasons for that. You don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X